Anthonis van Obbergen
Anthonis van Obbergen (Antonius, Anthonis, Anthony, Antonie, Anton - Obberghen, Oberberg, Opbergen) (1543 in Mechelen – 1611 in Gdańsk) was a Flemish architect and fortifications engineer. After studying masonry in Mechelen and completing a tour to study fortification work in Germany, he initially gained experience working on the fortifications of Antwerp (1567–71).
Achievements in Denmark
In Denmark, he is remembered for his exceptional work on the Royal Palace of Kronborg in Helsingør (1577–86) which he completed after another Flemish architect, Hans van Paeschen, resigned from the project in 1577. Inspired by the Flemish Renaissance style of Antwerp developed by Cornelis Floris, the building quickly gained international fame, both as an architecturally imposing building and as the largest castle in northern Europe. Although most of it was destroyed by fire in 1629, Christian IV had it rebuilt in accordance with van Obbergen's design. Today's castle has not changed substantially since that time.
Achievements in Poland
In 1586, van Obbergen moved to Gdańsk where he brought a Flemish flavour to the city's architecture. In particular, he designed together with Jan Strakowski and Abraham van den Blocke the Old Arsenal, one of the great buildings in the Flemish Renaissance style (1601–1609) as well as the Old City Hall (1587–1595) which displays the classic features of high quality Mannerist Flemish architecture.
Other achievements include a number of fine houses in Gdańsk which he designed together with Jan Strakowski as well as work on the city's fortifications.
- Anthonis van Obbergen. From Kunstindeks Danmark. In Danish. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- Antonius van Opbergen from Encyclopedia.com. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- The Renaissance Castle of Kronborg. From Palaces and Properties Agency. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- Kronborg Slot and the Maritime Museum. From The Rough Guide to Denmark. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- Lighthouses in Öresund. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- Die Architekten und Maler aus Danzigs großer Zeit. In German. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- (English) Lech Krzyżanowski; Michał Wożniak; Marek Źak; Wacław Górski (1995). Beautiful historic Gdańsk. Excalibur. p. 769.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Historical monuments, Gdansk. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- Obergen Antoni. From Kunstlexikon Arts4x.com. In German. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- Explore24 from PoloniaToday. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- Koto Naukowe Historyków. In Polish, Retrieved 2 December 2009.