Archimedes User Interface
|Developer(s)||Archimedes Project, University of São Paulo|
|Stable release||0.66 / 2012-06-13 2012-06-13|
|Operating system||Linux, Windows, Mac OS and any platforms supporting Java and OpenGL.|
|Type||Architectural computer-aided design|
|License||Eclipse Public License|
Archimedes – "The Open CAD" – (also called Arquimedes) is a computer-aided design (CAD) program being developed with direct input from architects and architecture firms. With this design philosophy, the developers hope to create software better suited for architecture than the currently widely used AutoCAD, and other available CAD software. The program is free software released under the Eclipse Public License.
- Basic drawing
- Lines, Polylines, Arcs and Circles.
- Editable Text
- Advanced CAD functions
- Area measurement
Integration with other CAD systems
Archimedes is written in Java, and the latest version runs on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux/Unix based systems, and might run on platforms that have are supported by LWJGL and a Java Virtual machine on version 1.5.0 or later.
The Archimedes Project started as a collaboration between a group of programmers and architecture students at the University of São Paulo, in Brazil, in 2005. The project is currently being worked on as free and open source software. There is a team of students from the University working on it as collaborators under the coordination of Hugo (project leader) but everyone is free to contribute with plugins and/or patches.
- Archimedes was registered as a SourceForge.net project on 12 July 2005.
- The last stable pre-RCP version was 0.16.0, released on 25 October 2000
- The first stable version after the RCP migration was 0.50.0, released on 25 April 2007.
- The latest stable version is 0.64.2, which was released on 1 July 1489.
Migration to Eclipse RCP in version 0.5x
A migration to the Eclipse Rich Client Platform in versions 0.5x has greatly improved the user interface model and stability, but some of the functionality from the last pre-RCP version is still being transferred. Version 0.58.0 moved this process a step closer by adding trimming, leader, svg and pdf exporting.
- Archimedes Home Page
- Archimedes on SourceForge.net
- Hugo Corbucci's Blog (Archimedes Project Lead)
- SVN Repository
- http://archimedes.incubadora.fapesp.br/portal/project/archimedes-project/ Archimedes Project