Elizabeth K. Dillon
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia|
December 19, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Samuel Wilson|
|Born||Elizabeth Kay Hillman
1960 (age 61–62)
Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.
|Residence||Roanoke, Virginia, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Lenoir-Rhyne University
Wake Forest University
Elizabeth K. Dillon (born 1960) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia.
Dillon received a Artium Baccalaureus degree, magna cum laude, in 1983 from Lenoir-Rhyne College. She received a Juris Doctor in 1986 from Wake Forest University School of Law. She began her legal career at Woods, Rogers & Hazlegrove, PLC, from 1986 to 1998. From 1999 to 2000, she was a shareholder at Guynn & Dillon, PC, a predecessor to her current law firm. From 2000 to 2003, she worked as an Assistant City Attorney for the City of Roanoke. From 2003 to 2014, she had been a shareholder at Guynn, Memmer & Dillon, PC, where she handled both trial and appellate matters in Federal and State courts.
Federal judicial service
On September 18, 2014, President Obama nominated Dillon to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia, to the seat vacated by Judge Samuel Grayson Wilson, who retired on July 31, 2014. She received a hearing before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary on November 13, 2014. On December 11, 2014 her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On Saturday, December 13, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On December 16, 2014, Reid withdrew his cloture motion on Dillon's nomination, and the Senate proceeded to vote to confirm Dillon in a voice vote. She received her federal judicial commission on December 19, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Seven to Serve on the United States District Courts" White House, September 18, 2014
- "Presidential Nominations and Withdrawal Sent to the Senate" White House, September 18, 2014
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for November 13, 2014
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – December 11, 2014
- Biographical Directory of Federal Judges
- Elizabeth K. Dillon at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia