John A. Gibney Jr.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia|
December 17, 2010
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Robert Payne|
October 27, 1951 |
Coatesville, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Alma mater||College of William and Mary
University of Virginia
John Adrian Gibney Jr. (born October 27, 1951) is an American lawyer and judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. The Senate confirmed his appointment on 16 December 2010.
Early life and education
Born in Coatesville, Pennsylvania, Gibney received a bachelor's degree in English from The College of William & Mary in 1973 and a law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1976. From 1976 until 1978, Gibney served as a law clerk for Justice Harry L. Carrico of the Supreme Court of Virginia.
From 1978 until 1982, Gibney was an associate at the now-dissolved Richmond, Virginia law firm Bell, Lacy & Baliles. From 1982 until 1984, Gibney served in the office of the attorney general for the commonwealth of Virginia in the litigation section as an assistant attorney general. From 1984 until 1987, he served as an associate at the now-dissolved Richmond law firm Lacy & Mehfoud.
From 1987 until 2003, Gibney served as a shareholder (partner) in the Richmond law firm Shuford, Rubin & Gibney.
From 2003 until his confirmation as a federal judge, he served as a partner and a civil litigator in the Richmond law firm ThompsonMcMullan.
Federal judicial service
On September 30, 2009, Virginia Senators Jim Webb and Mark Warner recommended Gibney for a seat on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. On April 14, 2010, President Obama nominated Gibney to the seat that had been created by the retirement of Judge Robert E. Payne, who had taken senior status in May 2007.
- President Obama Names John A. Gibney to United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, whitehouse.gov (April 14, 2010).
- Mike Scarcella, ThompsonMcMullan Partner Recommended for Federal Judgeship in Virginia, The Blog of Legal Times (September 30, 2009).
- Presidential Nominations and Withdrawal sent to the Senate, whitehouse.gov (April 14, 2010).
- Senate confirms judicial nominees Politico
- John A. Gibney Jr. at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia