The Nature Institute
The Nature Institute is a research institute located in upstate New York, which offers educational programs, publishes two publications (In Context and NetFuture) and maintains two websites. The Nature Institute is located in rural Ghent, New York and was founded in 1998 by Craig Holdrege and Steven Talbott. The Institute's publications reach about 10,000 readers.
The Nature Institute's position is that if humanity wants to address the root causes of our present-day unsustainable relation to the planet, our way of thinking about, experiencing, and interacting with the world needs radical reorientation. The Institute has several projects in support of that position including:
- understanding the foundations of science and technology
- explaining the validity in science of phenomenology, a scientific methodology that includes the consideration of qualities
- the study of biological organisms involving the study of the whole organism, for example, the elephant and the giraffe
- the study of genetic engineering in relation to agriculture and related issues
The Institute's newsletter, In Context, published biannually since 1999, features articles addressing central questions concerning the methods of scientific inquiry and the role of technology in society, and presenting the results of biological research based on a phenomenological treatment of the organism as a whole.
The on-line publication NetFuture has received recognition from commentators in the field of technology. Kevin Kelly founding editor of Wired magazine said NetFuture is "the best, most literate, and intelligent critique of technology available. Talbott is honest, bright, and devoted to understanding the role of technology in our lives. He manages to host a conversation around his wonderful essays that actually moves issues forward. Most excellent and highly recommended."
- Henry Barnes (2005). Into the Heart's Land: A Century of Rudolf Steiner's Work in North America. SteinerBooks. pp. 532–536. ISBN 0-88010-554-2.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Waldorf Education Research Institute (1999). Research Bulletin 4-6.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "What People Are Saying about NetFuture". Retrieved 2012-08-29.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Unintended Effects of Genetic Manipulation, A Project of The Nature Institute". Retrieved 2012-08-29.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Organic Consumers Association. "New Recommended Website on Genetic Engineering". Retrieved 2012-08-29.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>