William H. Donaldson
|William H. Donaldson|
|27th Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission|
February 18, 2003 – June 2005
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Harvey Pitt|
|Succeeded by||Christopher Cox|
June 2, 1931 |
Buffalo, New York, USA
|Spouse(s)||Jane Phillips Donaldson|
|Alma mater||Yale University (B.A.)
Harvard Business School (M.B.A.)
|Occupation||former SEC chairman (retired)|
William Henry Donaldson (born June 2, 1931) was the 27th Chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), serving from February 2003 to June 2005. He served as Under Secretary of State for International Security Affairs in the Nixon Administration, as a special adviser to Vice President Nelson Rockefeller, Chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange, and Chairman, President and CEO of Aetna. Donaldson founded Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette.
He was Chairman of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace from 1999 to 2003. Donaldson returned to Yale and founded the Yale School of Management, where he served as dean and professor of management studies. The main building of the school continues to display a life-size portrait of him and the premier leadership award at Yale School of Management is called "Donaldson Fellows". He also served in the United States Marine Corps.
- "Aetna chief: Aetna Inc. named William Donaldson chairman". Chicago Tribune. February 25, 2000.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Linder, Karen (2012). The Women of Berkshire Hathaway: Lessons from Warren Buffett's Female CEOs and Directors. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781118227411. Retrieved January 25, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- *Robbins, Alexandra (2002). Secrets of the Tomb: Skull and Bones, the Ivy League, and the Hidden Paths of Power. Boston: Little, Brown. pp. 166, 173. ISBN 0-316-72091-7.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Skull And Bones: Secret Yale Society Includes America's Power Elite", CBS News, June 13, 2004
- Wall Street figure tapped to head SEC . San Francisco Chronicle, December 11, 2002
- Official biography at SEC website.
- "Bill Donaldson". NNDB. Retrieved January 26, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Securities and Exchange Commission Chair
Charles Christopher Cox