|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Italy|
|Actual use||Very popular in Italy Commonly used as a domain hack in English-speaking countries|
|Registration restrictions||Must be a resident of an EU country to register. Domain name must be at least three characters long.|
|Structure||Registration is permitted at second level; there are some third-level names beneath second-level labels, but these are not much used|
|Documents||How to register|
|Dispute policies||Dispute procedure|
- For the file format, see Impulse Tracker.
- .gov.it - The official governmental domain, and its use is increasing rapidly.
- .edu.it - This extension has never been used, even though its use has been proposed in the past. As of 2015, most schools and all universities in Italy use second-level domains such as in unibocconi.it or unitn.it.
- Domains in the form comune.<locality>.it and comune.<locality>.<province code>.it are reserved to Italian municipalities. The former variant is normally used by the province capital towns, the latter by smaller towns. If there are blank spaces in the town name, they can either be omitted or replaced by a hyphen sign.
- Domains in the form provincia.<province>.it are reserved to Italian provinces.
- Domains in the form regione.<region>.it are reserved to Italian regions.
Reserved domains are not limited to the provided examples: any domain name which appears to be linked to an administrative geographical subdivision is reserved. E.g. the town of Tuoro sul Trasimeno have the following domains reserved: Tuoro.Perugia.it, Tuoro.PG.it, TuorosulTrasimeno.Perugia.it, Tuoro-sul-Trasimeno.Perugia.it, TuorosulTrasimeno.PG.it, Tuoro-sul-Trasimeno.PG.it, TuoroTrasimeno.Perugia.it, Tuoro-Trasimeno.Perugia.it, TuoroTrasimeno.PG.it, Tuoro-Trasimeno.PG.it.
However, only comune.Tuoro-sul-Trasimeno.PG.it is actually registered as the official town hall web site. Furthermore, and even if it is not explicitly listed, it is not possible to privately register a domain such as comune-di-tuoro-sul-trasimeno.it.