From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
This article is about the year 1017. For the number, see 1017 (number).
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||980s 990s 1000s – 1010s – 1020s 1030s 1040s|
|Years:||1014 1015 1016 – 1017 – 1018 1019 1020|
|1017 by topic|
|Lists of leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
Lua error in package.lua at line 75: invalid escape sequence near .
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1017.|
- c. May – Melus of Bari begins a rebellion, supported by Norman mercenaries. His Lombard forces are victorious in three pitched battles against the Byzantine Empire.
- c. July – Cnut the Great, King of England, marries Emma of Normandy, widow of the penultimate monarch, Æthelred.
- Cnut divides England into the four Earldoms of Wessex, Mercia, East Anglia and Northumbria.
- Kiev burns. Possible date at which construction of Saint Sophia's Cathedral, Kiev, is started.
- Abd ar-Rahman IV succeeds Sulayman as Umayyad caliph.
- Hamza ibn-'Ali ibn-Ahmad publicly declares the founding of the Druze religion. During the reign of the Fatimid Caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah.
- Rajendra Chola annexed the island of Sri Lanka.
- Sunni revolt of Kairouan against the Shi'ite Zirid dynasty. The city is quickly retaken and sacked.
- October 29 – Henry III, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1056)
- Zhou Dunyi, Neo-Confucian philosopher in Song Dynasty China (d. 1073)
- June 5 – Ex-Emperor Sanjō of Japan (b. 975)
- July 6 – Genshin, Japanese scholar (b. 942)
- Autumn – Elvira of Castile, Queen of León (b. 965)
- c. December 25 – Eadric Streona, Earldorman of Mercia (killed)
- Ramon Borrell, Count of Barcelona (b. 972)
- Agnihotri, V. K. (2010). "South India". Indian History with Objective Questions and Historical Maps (26 ed.). Allied Publishers. p. 59. ISBN 978-8184243406.
- Meynier, Gilbert (2010). L'Algérie cœur du Maghreb classique. De l'ouverture islamo-arabe au repli (658-1518) (in French). Paris: La Découverte. ISBN 978-2707152312.