From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1100s 1110s 1120s – 1130s – 1140s 1150s 1160s|
|Years:||1135 1136 1137 – 1138 – 1139 1140 1141|
|1138 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1138 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||1891|
|English Regnal year||3 Ste. 1 – 4 Ste. 1|
|Chinese calendar||丁巳年 (Fire Snake)
3834 or 3774
— to —
戊午年 (Earth Horse)
3835 or 3775
|- Vikram Samvat||1194–1195|
|- Shaka Samvat||1060–1061|
|- Kali Yuga||4239–4240|
|Japanese calendar||Hōen 4
|Minguo calendar||774 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1449/1450 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1680–1681|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1138.|
- March 13
- April 10 – Robert Warelwast is nominated as Bishop of Exeter.
- July – Bavaria is taken away from the Welfen Henry X, Duke of Bavaria, and given to the Margrave Leopold IV of Austria.
- August 22 – Battle of the Standard in Yorkshire: David I of Scotland is defeated by the English.
- October 11 – 1138 Aleppo earthquake: An earthquake in Aleppo, Syria, kills about 230,000 people.
- November 5 – Lý Anh Tông is enthroned as emperor of Đại Việt at the age of two, starting a 37-year reign.
- The earldom of Pembroke, created for Gilbert de Clare, is the first earldom created by the Norman kings within the borders of Wales.
- First mention of the consuls of Florence, indicating that the city has become an independent and self-governing commune.
- date unknown –
- probable – Saladin, ruler of Egypt and Syria (d. 1193)
- January 13 – Simon I, Duke of Lorraine (b. 1076)
- January 25 – Antipope Anacletus II
- May 11 – William de Warenne, 2nd Earl of Surrey
- October 28 – King Bolesław III Wrymouth of Poland
- probable – Avempace, Andalusian philosopher