From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1160s 1170s 1180s – 1190s – 1200s 1210s 1220s|
|Years:||1193 1194 1195 – 1196 – 1197 1198 1199|
|1196 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1196 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||1949|
|English Regnal year||7 Ric. 1 – 8 Ric. 1|
|Chinese calendar||乙卯年 (Wood Rabbit)
3892 or 3832
— to —
丙辰年 (Fire Dragon)
3893 or 3833
|- Vikram Samvat||1252–1253|
|- Shaka Samvat||1118–1119|
|- Kali Yuga||4297–4298|
|Japanese calendar||Kenkyū 7
|Minguo calendar||716 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1507/1508 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1738–1739|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1196.|
- England is struck by a pestilence and a resulting famine
- Spring – In London, a popular uprising of the poor against the rich is led by William Fitz Osbern.
- Upon the death of Knut Eriksson, he succeeded peacefully as king of Sweden by his rival Sverker the Younger.
- According to a popular legend, Prince Madog of Gwynedd reaches North America in what is present-day Alabama.
- Stefan Prvovencani becomes Grand Župan of Serbia.
- General Ch'oe Ch'ung-hon takes control in Korea.
- First recorded use of "Katherine" as a female first name in England.
- January 3 – Emperor Tsuchimikado of Japan (d. 1231)
- Alice of Champagne, daughter of Henry II of Champagne and regent of Jerusalem (d. 1246)
- April 23 – Béla III of Hungary (b. c.1148)
- August 15 – Conrad II, Duke of Swabia (b. 1173)
- King Alfonso II of Aragon (b. 1152)
- Tsar Ivan Asen I of Bulgaria
- William Fitz Osbern
- Knut Eriksson, king of Sweden since 1167
- King John by Warren. Published by University of California Press in 1961. p. 60