From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1420s 1430s 1440s – 1450s – 1460s 1470s 1480s|
|Years:||1453 1454 1455 – 1456 – 1457 1458 1459|
|1456 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1456 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2209|
|English Regnal year||34 Hen. 6 – 35 Hen. 6|
|Chinese calendar||乙亥年 (Wood Pig)
4152 or 4092
— to —
丙子年 (Fire Rat)
4153 or 4093
|- Vikram Samvat||1512–1513|
|- Shaka Samvat||1378–1379|
|- Kali Yuga||4557–4558|
|Japanese calendar||Kōshō 2
|Minguo calendar||456 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1998–1999|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1456.|
- May 18 – Second Battle of Oronichea (1456): Ottoman forces of 15,000 go to capture Albania but are met and swiftly defeated by Skanderbeg's smaller force.
- June 9 – Halley's Comet makes an appearance, as noted by the humanist scholar Platina.
- July 7 – A retrial of Joan of Arc acquits her of heresy 25 years after her execution.
- July 21–July 22 – Battle of Nándorfehérvár (Belgrade): The Hungarians under John Hunyadi rout the Turkish army of Sultan Mehmed II. The noon bell ordered by Pope Callixtus III commemorates the victory throughout the Christian world (and hence is still rung).
- August 20 – Vladislav II, reigning Prince of Wallachia, is killed in battle by Vlad the Impaler, who succeeds him.
- October 17 – The University of Greifswald is established, making it the second oldest university in northern Europe (also for a period the oldest in Sweden and Prussia).
- Lazar Branković becomes despot of Serbia.
- Alvise Cadamosto discovers some of the Cape Verde Islands.
- Diogo Gomes reaches the Geba River in Guinea Bissau and explores the Gambia River.
- Emperor Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia founds the city of Debre Berhan.
- Muscovy and Novgorod Republic conclude the Treaty of Yazhelbitsy.
- March – Jan Łaski, Polish nobleman (d. 1531)
- March 1 – King Ladislaus II of Bohemia and Hungary (d. 1516)
- June 11 – Anne Neville, queen of Richard III of England (d. 1485)
- June 23 – Margaret of Denmark, queen of James III of Scotland (d. 1486)
- date unknown – Jan Lubrański, Polish bishop (d. 1520)
- May 24 – Ambroise de Loré, French military leader (b. 1396)
- August 11 – John Hunyadi, Transylvanian statesman, Regent-Governor (1446–1453) of the Kingdom of Hungary. (b. 1387)
- October 17 – Nicolas Grenon, French composer
- October 23 – Giovanni da Capistrano, Italian saint (b. 1386)
- November 1 – Edmund Tudor, 1st Earl of Richmond, father of King Henry VII of England
- November 9 – Ulrich II, Count of Celje (b. 1406)
- November 25 – Jacques Cœur, French merchant
- December 4 – Charles I, Duke of Bourbon (b. 1401)
- December 24 – Đurađ Branković, Despot of Serbia
- date unknown – Juan de Mena, Spanish poet (b. 1411)