From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1440s 1450s 1460s – 1470s – 1480s 1490s 1500s|
|Years:||1469 1470 1471 – 1472 – 1473 1474 1475|
|1472 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1472 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2225|
|English Regnal year||11 Edw. 4 – 12 Edw. 4|
|Chinese calendar||辛卯年 (Metal Rabbit)
4168 or 4108
— to —
壬辰年 (Water Dragon)
4169 or 4109
|- Vikram Samvat||1528–1529|
|- Shaka Samvat||1394–1395|
|- Kali Yuga||4573–4574|
|Japanese calendar||Bunmei 4
|Minguo calendar||440 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||2014–2015|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1472.|
- February 20 – Orkney and Shetland are returned by Norway to Scotland, due to a defaulted dowry payment.
- December 31 – The city council of Amsterdam prohibits snowball fights: "Neymant en moet met sneecluyten werpen nocht maecht noch wijf noch manspersoon." ("No one shall throw with snowballs, neither men nor women.")
- Foundation of the Kingdom of Fez.
- Possible discovery of Bacalao (possibly Newfoundland, North America) by João Vaz Corte-Real.
- An extensive slave trade begins in modern Cameroon, as the Portuguese sail up the Wouri River.
- Fernão do Po claims the central-African islands Bioko and Annobón for Portugal.
- Banca Monte Dei Paschi Di Siena, the world's oldest surviving bank, is founded.
- Leonardo da Vinci is listed as a master in Florence's "Company of Artists".
- Publication of Johannes de Sacrobosco's De sphaera mundi (written c. 1230) in Ferrara, the first printed astronomical book.
- Publication of Pietro d'Abano's Conciliator differentiarum quae inter philosophos et medicos versantur and De venenis eorumque remediis.
- March 28 – Fra Bartolomeo, Italian artist (d. 1517)
- April 5 – Bianca Maria Sforza, wife of Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1510)
- December 10 – Anne de Mowbray, 8th Countess of Norfolk (d. 1481)
- date unknown
- March 30 – Amadeus IX, Duke of Savoy (b. 1435)
- April 25 – Leone Battista Alberti, Italian artist, poet, and philosopher (b. 1404)
- May 30 – Jacquetta of Luxembourg, daughter of Pierre de Luxembourg (b. 1416)
- June 4 – Nezahualcoyotl, Aztec poet (b. 1402)
- July 25 – Charles of Artois, Count of Eu, French military leader (b. 1394)
- November 18 – Basilius Bessarion, titular patriarch of Constantinople (b. c. 1403)
- date unknown – Afanasy Nikitin, Russian traveller