161st Intelligence Squadron
|161st Intelligence Squadron|
|Branch||Air National Guard|
|Part of||184th Intelligence Wing|
|Garrison/HQ||McConnell Air Force Base, Wichita, Kansas|
|161st Intelligence Squadron emblem||200px|
The 161st Intelligence Squadron (161 IS) is a unit of the 184th Intelligence Wing of the Kansas Air National Guard stationed at McConnell Air Force Base, Wichita, Kansas. The 161st is a non-flying squadron operating the Distributed Common Ground System.
On 1 July 1987, the 161st Tactical Fighter Training Squadron (TFTS) was established. Formal activation ceremonies for the 161st occurred on 12 September 1987. The unit was equipped with 10 F-16A/Bs and conducted its first student training class shortly after activation. The 161st TFTS began converting to the F-16 C/D when the first C/D model arrived in July 1990.
The squadron was inactivated on 1 August 1994 when the F-16s were withdrawn from McConnell and replaced by B-1Bs. The squadron was reactivated in 2008 as the 161st Intelligence Squadron.
- Constituted as the 161st Tactical Fighter Training Squadron and allotted to Kansas ANG, on 1 July 1987
- Extended federal recognition on 12 September 1987
- Redesignated: 161st Fighter Squadron on 16 March 1992
- Inactivated on 1 August 1994
- Redesignated: 161st Intelligence Squadron and activated on 1 April 2008
- 184th Tactical Fighter Group (later 184th Fighter Group, 184th Bomb Group). 1 July 1987 - 1 August 1994
- 184th Regional Support Group, 1 April 2008 -P resent
- McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas, 1 July 1987 - 1 August 1994
- McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas, 1 April 2008 – Present
- Rogers, B. (2006). United States Air Force Unit Designations Since 1978. ISBN 1-85780-197-0
|This United States Air Force article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|