173rd Fighter Wing
|173rd Fighter Wing|
173rd Fighter Wing F-15C-24-MC Eagle 79-022.
|Branch||Air National Guard|
|Part of||Oregon Air National Guard|
|Garrison/HQ||Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, Klamath Falls, Oregon|
|Tail code||"Oregon" American bald eagle|
|173rd Fighter Wing emblem|
The 173rd Fighter Wing (173 FW sometimes 173d) is a unit of the Oregon Air National Guard, stationed at Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, Klamath Falls, Oregon. If activated to federal service, the wing is gained by the United States Air Force Air Education and Training Command.
Kingsley Field AGB is home to the 173rd Fighter Wing, which is located in Klamath Falls, Oregon. The 173rd Fighter Wing is responsible for training air-to-air combat pilots. Also, as part of the Air National Guard, the wing serves the state of Oregon and the United States in times of peace and war.
- 173rd Operations Group
- 114th Fighter Squadron
- 270th Air Traffic Control Squadron
- 173rd Maintenance Group
- 173rd Mission Support Group
- 173rd Medical Group
On 1 April 1996, the 173rd Fighter Wing was formed at Kingsley AGB as a host organization and parent unit for the 114th Fighter Squadron when the unit was authorized to expand, with the 114th being transferred from the 142nd Fighter Wing at Portland to the new wing at Kingsley ANGB. Along with the 114th FS, the 173rd consists of the 173rd Operations Group; 173rd Maintenance Group, 173rd Mission Support Group and 173rd Medical Group.
Initially flying F-16A Fighting Falcon aircraft as a formal training unit (FTU), the F-16As were retired in the late 1990s as their service life was ending. The squadron began receiving F-15A/B Eagles in 1998. It was upgraded to the F-15C/C Eagle in 2004, continuing its mission as an ANG interceptor training unit.
- Designated 173rd Fighter Wing, and allotted to Oregon ANG, 1996
- Extended federal recognition and activated, 1 April 1996
- Oregon Air National Guard
- Gained by: Air Education and Training Command
- 173rd Operations Group, 1 April 1996 – present
- 114th Fighter Squadron, 1 April 1996 – present
- Assigned to 173 OG entire period
- Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, Oregon, 1 April 1996 – present
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oregon Air National Guard.|