1875 in Australia
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
- 11 January - William Robinson arrives in Western Australia to become Governor of the colony.
- 13 January - Frederick Weld becomes Governor of Tasmania.
- 23 January - William Cairns becomes Governor of Queensland.
- 9 February - John Robertson becomes Premier of New South Wales, replacing Henry Parkes.
- 24 February - The SS Gothenburg strikes Old Reef off Ayr, Queensland and sinks with the loss of 102 lives.
- 24 May - J. V. Mulligan and party discover the Barron River in Queensland, they left Cooktown on 17 April
- 6 May - Ernest Giles and party leave South Australia for an overland expedition to Perth, they arrive on 10 November.
- 3 June - Premier of South Australia Arthur Blyth resigns and is replaced by James Boucaut.
- 7 August - Graham Berry becomes Premier of Victoria.
- 20 October - James McCulloch becomes Premier of Victoria for the fourth time.
- 24 December - 59 die when a cyclone destroys the pearling fleet in the Exmouth Gulf of Western Australia.
Arts and literature
- New South Government establishes an art gallery in Sydney; it later becomes the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
- Polo played for the first time in Australia at Albert Park in Victoria
- Wollomai wins the Melbourne Cup; the cup was held on the first Tuesday in November for this first time this year
- 28 January - James Hurtle Fisher, South Australian pioneer (b. 1790)
- 25 February - Thomas Reynolds
- 25 February - James Stokes Millner
- 20 October - Charles Cowper
- 9 November - William Hovell
- 2 December - Charles La Trobe
- date unknown