1938 Philadelphia Eagles season
|1938 Philadelphia Eagles season|
|Head coach||Bert Bell|
|Home field||Philadelphia Municipal Stadium|
|Division place||4th NFL Eastern|
|Playoff finish||did not qualify|
The 1938 Philadelphia Eagles season was their sixth in the league. The team improved on their previous output of 2–8–1, winning five games. The team failed to qualify for the playoffs for the sixth consecutive season.
The 1938 NFL Draft was held on December 12, 1937. The draft consisting of 12 rounds. The Eagles got the 2nd pick in each round as the expansion Cleveland Rams got the 1st pick. With the pick they chose Corbett Davis a Back from Indiana University.
The table shows the Eagles selections and what picks they had that were traded away and the team that ended up with that pick. It is possible the Eagles' pick ended up with this team via another team that the Eagles made a trade with. Not shown are acquired picks that the Eagles traded away.
|= Pro Bowler ||= Hall of Famer|
|1||2||Jim McDonald||Back||Ohio State|
|3||17||Joe Bukant||Back||Washington (St. Louis)|
|6||42||Herschel Ramsey||End||Texas Tech|
|9||72||Elmer Kolberg||Back||Oregon State|
|1||September 11, 1938||Washington Redskins||L 26–23||
|2||September 16, 1938||at Pittsburgh Pirates||W 27–7||
|3||September 25, 1938||New York Giants||W 14–10||
|4||October 2, 1938||Chicago Bears||L 28–6||
|5||October 16, 1938||at New York Giants||L 17–7||
|6||October 23, 1938||at Washington Redskins||L 20–14||
|7||October 26, 1938||Chicago Cardinals||W 7–0||
|8||November 6, 1938||Brooklyn Dodgers||L 10–7||
|9||November 13, 1938||at Brooklyn Dodgers||L 32–14||
|10||November 20, 1938||Pittsburgh Pirates||W 14–7||
|11||December 4, 1938||at Detroit Lions||W 21–7||
|NFL Eastern Division|
|New York Giants||8||2||1||.800||5–2–1||194||79||W1|
Note: Tie games were not officially counted in the standings until 1972.
The Eagles had a 5–6–0 record and failed to make it to the 1938 NFL Championship Game. The game was on December 11, 1938, at Polo Grounds in New York City. The game attendance was 48,120 a record crowd for a title game.
The game matched the champions of the Eastern Division, New York Giants (8–2–1) against the Western Division champion Green Bay Packers (8–3–0). The Giants won 23–17
(All time List of Philadelphia Eagles players in franchise history)
|= 1938 Pro All Star |
As in the 1937 roster was, the this year team is mostly rookies and players with 1 or 2 years NFL experience.
|Bert Bell||42||Coach||1938 record
|Joe Bukant||23||Back||11||1||216||6–0||Rookie||Washington (MO)|
|Tom Burnette||23||BB||8||0||194||6–1||Rookie||North Carolina|
|Joe Carter*||28||E||11||11||201||6–1||5||Austin College and
|John Cole||0||FB||11||0||197||5–9||Rookie||St. Joseph's (PA)|
|Woody Dow||22||BB-FB||10||10||195||6–0||Rookie||West Texas A&M|
|Fritz Ferko||26||T||2||0||242||6–1||1||Mount State Mary's and
|Wimpy Giddens||24||T||9||0||220||6–2||Rookie||Louisiana Tech|
|Emmett Mortell||22||B||11||7||181||6–1||1||Notre Dame and
|Bob Pylman||25||T||11||1||214||6–4||Rookie||South Dakota State|
|Red Ramsey||27||E||11||0||196||6–0||Rookie||Texas Tech|
|Dave Smukler||24||FB-LB||11||10||226||6–1||2||Missouri and
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2011)
Awards and Honors
- Dave Smukler finished 2nd in TD Passes with 7
- Joe Carter finished 2nd in Receiving TD with 7
- Dave Smukler returned the only Kick off for a TD this year in the NFL 
- Jay Arnold is one of 10 players to return an Interception for a TD
- Joe Carter named to Pro All-Star team
- Bill Hewitt named to Pro All-Star team as a starter
- "Philadelphia Eagles Results and Statistics (1930s)" (PDF). Philadelphia Eagles. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 19, 2009. Retrieved February 4, 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- 1938 Philadelphia Eagles on pro-football-reference.com
- Pro Football Hall of Fame. "1938 NFL Draft sorted by team". Retrieved June 6, 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Players are identified as a Pro Bowler if they were selected for the Pro-Bowl at any time in their career.
- Players are identified as a 1938 Pro All Star.