1944 in Mandatory Palestine
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|1944 in the British Mandate of Palestine|
Events in the year 1944 in the British Mandate of Palestine.
- High Commissioner - Sir Harold MacMichael until 30 August; John Vereker, 6th Viscount Gort
- Emir of Transjordan - Abdullah I bin al-Hussein
- Prime Minister of Transjordan - Tawfik Abu al-Huda until 15 October; Samir al-Rifai
This section requires expansion. (August 2010)
- 1 February - The Irgun proclaims a revolt against the British mandatory government.
- 27 February - The Irgun bombs the income tax offices.
- 15 March - World War II: Hannah Szenes and two male colleagues are parachuted by the British into Yugoslavia and join a partisan group.
- 1 May - The British mandatory government restricts the immigration of Jews to Palestine.
8 1 August - Fourth Assembly of Jewish Representatives elections held.
- 8 August - Lehi members attempt to assassinate the High Commissioner, Sir Harold MacMichael.
- 30 August – Sir John Vereker, 6th Viscount Gort assumes office as the High Commissioner of Palestine.
- 20 September - World War II: The Jewish Brigade group of the British Army is established.
- 19 October - Irgun and Lehi members are deported by the Mandate authorities to internment camps in Africa.
- November - The founding of the city Giv'at Shmuel.
- 6 November - Lord Moyne, the British minister of state in the Middle East, is assassinated by Lehi members in Cairo.
- 7 November - World War II: Hannah Szenes is executed in Hungary by a German firing squad.
- 6 January - Yair Rosenblum, Israeli composer (died 1996)
- 18 March - Amnon Lipkin-Shahak, 15th Chief of Staff of the IDF
- 4 April – Yehudit Naot, Israeli scientist and politician (died 2004)
- 4 April - Alex Odeh, Palestinian Christian and Arab-American activist (died 1985)
- 9 April - Leila Khaled, Palestinian Arab, member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) who is best known for hijacking airplanes
- 20 May - Matan Vilnai, Israeli politician and former Major General in the IDF
- 26 May - Israel Segal, Israeli writer and journalist (died 2007)
- 10 June - Yona Wallach, Israeli poet (died 1985)
- 16 June - Avigdor Kahalani, former Israeli politician and former Brigadier General in the IDF
- 26 August - Ron Huldai, Israeli politician, former IAF fighter pilot and the current mayor of Tel Aviv
- 1 October - Dror Kashtan, Israeli football manager
- Full date unknown
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1944 in the British Mandate of Palestine.|
- 2 August - Berl Katznelson (born 1887), Russian-born Labor Zionist leader and journalist.
- 7 November - Hannah Szenes (born 1921), Hungarian-born Palestinian Jewish poet, who served as a paratrooper during World War II for the British Army.
- 18 November - Enzo Sereni (born 1905), Italian-born Palestinian Jew, who served as a paratrooper during World War II for the British Army.