1958 in South Africa
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|1958 in South Africa|
|1955 1956 1957 « 1958 » 1959 1960 1961|
- 16 – The last general election of the Union of South Africa takes place.
- 13 – Penny Coelen is crowned as Miss World 1958 during the 8th Miss World pageant, the first South African to win the title.
- 16 April – John Coulter, composer.
- 30 April – Mbhazima Shilowa, Congress of South African Trade Unions general secretary and Premier of Gauteng, is born in Olifantshoek, Limpopo Province.
- 27 May – Cheryl Carolus, politician, is born in Silvertown on the Cape Flats, Cape Town.
- 28 July – Deon van der Walt, tenor. (d. 2005)
- 26 August – Mohammed Iqbal Shaik, political activist, is born in Vrededorp.
- 3 May – Henry Cornelius, movie director.
- 6 May – Margaret Rheeder is hanged in Pretoria for poisoning her husband, Benjamin Fredenman.
Two new Cape gauge locomotive types enter service on the South African Railways (SAR):
- The first of fifty-five Class 5E, Series 3 electric locomotives.:127–128
- In June and July forty-five Class 1-DE General Electric type U12B locomotives are the first diesel-electrics to enter SAR service in quantity.:137–138