1963 Houston Colt .45s season
|1963 Houston Colt .45s|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Paul Richards|
|Local television||KHOU (TV)
(Gene Elston, Guy Savage, Loel Passe)
|Local radio||KPRC (AM)
(Gene Elston, Loel Passe, Mickey Herskowitz)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- November 1, 1962: Joe Morgan was signed as an amateur free agent by the Colt .45s.
- November 26, 1962: Conrad Cardinal was drafted by the Colt .45s from the Detroit Tigers in the 1962 first-year draft.
- November 26, 1962: Ellis Burton was drafted by the Colt .45s from the Milwaukee Braves in the 1962 rule 5 draft.
- November 26, 1962: Don Taussig was drafted from the Colt .45s by the Milwaukee Braves in the 1962 minor league draft.
- November 30, 1962: Joey Amalfitano was traded by the Colt .45s to the San Francisco Giants for Manny Mota and Dick LeMay.
- November 30, 1962: Norm Larker was traded by the Colt .45s to the Milwaukee Braves for Jim Bolger, Don Nottebart, and Connie Grob.
- March 28, 1963: Hal Haydel, Dick LeMay and Merritt Ranew were traded by the Colt .45s to the Chicago Cubs for Dave Gerard and Danny Murphy.
|Los Angeles Dodgers||99||63||0.611||—||50–31||49–32|
|St. Louis Cardinals||93||69||0.574||6||53–28||40–41|
|San Francisco Giants||88||74||0.543||11||50–31||38–43|
|Houston Colt .45s||66||96||0.407||33||44–37||22–59|
|New York Mets||51||111||0.315||48||34–47||17–64|
Record vs. opponents
1963 National League Records
Sources:          
- April 2, 1963: Ellis Burton was purchased from the Colt .45s by the Cleveland Indians.
- April 4, 1963: Manny Mota was traded by the Colt .45s to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Howie Goss and cash.
|1963 Houston Colt .45s|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
Positional abbreviations: C = Catcher; 1B = First base; 2B = Second base; 3B = Third base; SS = Shortstop; LF = Left field; CF = Center field; RF = Right field
|C||Bateman, JohnJohn Bateman||128||404||23||85||8||6||.210||10||59||0|
|1B||Staub, RustyRusty Staub||150||513||43||115||17||4||.224||6||45||0|
|2B||Fazio, ErnieErnie Fazio||102||228||31||42||10||3||.184||2||5||4|
|3B||Aspromonte, BobBob Aspromonte||136||468||42||100||9||5||.214||8||49||3|
|SS||Lillis, BobBob Lillis||147||469||31||93||13||1||.198||1||19||3|
|LF||Spangler, AlAl Spangler||120||430||52||121||25||4||.281||4||27||5|
|CF||Goss, HowieHowie Goss||133||411||37||86||18||2||.209||9||44||4|
|RF||Warwick, CarlCarl Warwick||150||528||49||134||19||5||.209||7||47||3|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
|Wynn, JimJim Wynn||70||250||31||61||10||5||.244||4||27||4|
|Campbell, JimJim Campbell||55||158||9||35||3||0||.222||4||19||0|
|Hartman, J. C.J. C. Hartman||39||90||2||11||1||0||.122||0||3||1|
|Davis, BrockBrock Davis||34||55||7||11||2||0||.200||1||2||0|
|Smith, HalHal Smith||31||58||1||14||2||0||.241||0||2||0|
|Morgan, JoeJoe Morgan||8||25||5||6||0||1||.240||0||3||1|
|White, MikeMike White||3||7||0||2||0||0||.286||0||0||0|
Note: G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
|Johnson, KenKen Johnson||37||32||224||11||17||2.65||86||66||50||148|
|Farrell, TurkTurk Farrell||34||26||202.1||14||13||3.02||76||68||35||141|
|Nottebart, DonDon Nottebart||31||27||193||11||8||3.17||80||68||39||118|
|Bruce, BobBob Bruce||30||25||170.1||5||9||3.59||73||68||60||123|
|Brown, HalHal Brown||26||20||141.1||5||11||3.31||54||52||60||68|
|Dahl, JayJay Dahl||1||1||2.2||0||1||16.88||7||5||0||0|
Note: G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
|Drott, DickDick Drott||27||14||97.2||2||12||0||4.98||61||54||49||58|
|Cardinal, ConradConrad Cardinal||6||1||13.1||0||1||0||6.08||14||9||7||7|
|Brunet, GeorgeGeorge Brunet||5||2||12.2||0||3||0||7.11||11||10||6||11|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
|Woodeshick, HalHal Woodeshick||55||114||11||9||10||1.97||29||25||42||94|
|Dickson, JimJim Dickson||13||14.2||0||1||2||6.14||13||10||2||6|
|Coombs, DannyDanny Coombs||1||0.1||0||0||0||27.00||1||1||0||0|
Awards and honors
- Hal Woodeshick, reserve
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Oklahoma City
- Joe Morgan page at Baseball Reference
- Conrad Cardinal page at Baseball Reference
- Ellis Burton page at Baseball Reference
- Don Taussig page at Baseball Reference
- Manny Mota page at Baseball Reference
- Norm Larker page at Baseball Reference
- Hal Haydel page at Baseball Reference
- Reed, Robert. A Six-Gun Salute: An Illustrated History of the Colt .45s. Houston, TX: Gulf Publishing Co., 1999.
- Barron, David. "Phillies announcer Kalas dies after collapsing in booth," Houston Chronicle, Monday, April 13, 2009.
- Great Baseball Feats, Facts and Figures, 2008 Edition, p. 143, David Nemec and Scott Flatow, A Signet Book, Penguin Group, New York, NY, ISBN 978-0-451-22363-0
- Geisler Young, LLC –. "1963 Houston Colt .45s Roster by Baseball Almanac". Archived from the original on May 4, 2009. Retrieved April 19, 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>