1969 Boston Red Sox season
|1969 Boston Red Sox|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Dick O'Connell|
|Manager(s)||Dick Williams (W-82; L-71) and Eddie Popowski (W-5; L-4)|
|Local television||WHDH-TV, Ch. 5|
|Local radio||WHDH-AM 850
(Ken Coleman, Ned Martin, Johnny Pesky)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1969 Boston Red Sox season was a season in American baseball. In the first season following the split of the American League into two divisions, the Red Sox finished third in the newly established American League East with a record of 87 wins and 75 losses.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Farm system
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- October 15, 1968: Joe Foy was drafted by the Kansas City Royals from the Boston Red Sox as the 4th pick in the 1968 expansion draft.
- March 18, 1969: Bill Kelso was purchased by the Red Sox from the Cincinnati Reds.
- March 29, 1969: Bill Kelso was returned to the Reds by the Red Sox.
|Boston Red Sox||87||75||0.537||22||46–35||41–40|
|New York Yankees||80||81||0.497||28½||48–32||32–49|
Record vs. opponents
1969 American League Records
Opening Day lineup
- April 19, 1969: Dick Ellsworth, Ken Harrelson and Juan Pizarro were traded by the Red Sox to the Cleveland Indians for Joe Azcue, Vicente Romo and Sonny Siebert.
- June 15, 1969: Joe Azcue was traded by the Red Sox to the California Angels for Tom Satriano.
|1969 Boston Red Sox|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|2B||Andrews, MikeMike Andrews||121||464||136||.293||15||59|
|3B||Scott, GeorgeGeorge Scott||152||549||139||.253||16||52|
|LF||Yastrzemski, CarlCarl Yastrzemski||162||603||154||.255||40||111|
|CF||Smith, ReggieReggie Smith||143||543||168||.309||25||93|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|Harrelson, KenKen Harrelson||10||46||10||.217||3||8|
|Muser, TonyTony Muser||2||9||1||.111||0||1|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Culp, RayRay Culp||32||227||17||8||3.81||172|
|Brett, KenKen Brett||8||39.1||2||3||5.26||23|
|Garman, MikeMike Garman||2||12.1||1||0||4.38||10|
|Ellsworth, DickDick Ellsworth||2||12||0||0||3.75||4|
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
- Joe Foy Statistics and History – Baseball-Reference.com
- Bill Kelso page at Baseball Reference
- Joe Azcue page at Baseball-Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2007