1974 in art
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
- 26 April – Nineteen Old Master paintings from the Beit collection are stolen from Russborough House in Ireland by a Provisional Irish Republican Army gang including English heiress Rose Dugdale.
- Roy Strong becomes Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- Hallwalls a non profit exhibition space and arts organization is established in a converted ice packing warehouse in Buffalo, New York by the artists Charles Clough, Robert Longo, Diane Bertolo, Nancy Dwyer, Larry Lundy, Cindy Sherman and Michael Zwack.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Judy Dater – Imogen and Twinka at Yosemite (photograph)
- Nabil Kanso – Vietnam
- Joan Miró
- Enzo Plazzotta – Crucifixion
- Ruskin Spear – Harold Wilson
- David Wynne – Boy With a Dolphin (bronze, Cheyne Walk, London)
- 31 May – Adrian Tomine, American cartoonist.
- 16 June – Paul Lee, English artist.
- 1 September – Jhonen Vasquez, American comic book artist, cartoonist and writer.
- 8 November – Masashi Kishimoto, Japanese manga artist.
- 13 November - Kerim Seiler, Swiss artist and architect
- 7 December – Kang Full, South Korean webcomic artist.
Full date unknown
- Banksy, English graffiti artist.
- Amelie Chabannes, French painter and sculptor.
- Fabrice Lachant, French photographer.
- Dulce Pinzon, Mexican-born visual artist.
- Bojan Šarčević, Bosnian-French visual artist.
- Bedwyr Williams, Welsh installation and performance artist.
January to June
- 15 February – Petar Lubarda, Serbian painter (b. 1907).
- 4 March – Adolph Gottlieb, American abstract expressionist painter and sculptor (b. 1903).
- 9 March – Daniel O'Neill, Irish painter (b. 1920).
- 5 April – A. Y. Jackson, Canadian painter (b. 1882).
- 31 May – Juan Bautista Garcia, Puerto Rican painter (b. 1904).
- 7 June
- 22 June – Alain Saint-Ogan, French comics author and artist (b. 1895).
- 30 June – Frank McKelvey, Irish painter (b. 1895).
July to December
- 9 July – Georges Ribemont-Dessaignes, French writer and artist (b. 1884).
- 11 August – Jan Tschichold, German typographer, book designer, teacher and writer (b. 1902).
- August – André Edouard Marty, French artist (b. 1882).
- 8 September – James Swinnerton, American cartoonist and artist (b. 1875).
- 17 September – André Dunoyer de Segonzac, French painter and graphic artist (b. 1884).
- 28 October – David Jones, English poet and painter (b. 1895).
- 20 December – Risto Stijović, Serbian sculptor (b. 1894).
- 21 December – James Henry Govier, English painter (b. 1910).
- 25 December – Harry Kernoff, Irish painter (b. 1900).