1976 in Malaysia
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
1976 in Malaysia
19 years of the nationhood
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong: Sultan Yahya Petra
- Raja Permaisuri Agong: Raja Perempuan Zainab
- Prime Minister:
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Dr Mahathir Mohammad (from 5 March)
- Sultan of Johor: Sultan Ismail
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan: Tengku Ismail Petra (Regent)
- Raja of Perlis: Tuanku Syed Putra
- Sultan of Perak: Sultan Idris Shah II
- Sultan of Pahang: Sultan Ahmad Shah (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Sultan of Selangor: Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
- Sultan of Terengganu: Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Sardon Jubir
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Zahiruddin bin Syed Hassan
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak: Tun Tuanku Bujang Tuanku Othman
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah: Tun Mohd Hamdan Abdullah
- 14 January – Tun Abdul Razak, second Malaysian prime minister died in London. His body was brought back to Malaysia and laid to rest at Makam Pahlawan near Masjid Negara, Kuala Lumpur.
- 15 January – Tun Hussein Onn replaces Tun Abdul Razak as a prime minister.
- 21 February – Subang Jaya, a new township in Petaling Jaya, Selangor developed by Sime Darby is established.
- 28 February – Sultan Yahya Petra of Kelantan is installed as the sixth Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
- 5 March – Dr Mahathir was appointed Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- 8 April – The 20 storey Campbell Shopping Complex, Kuala Lumpur's very first highrise shopping complex was completely destroyed in a fire. It was Malaysia's first towering inferno and the worst fire disaster involving a highrise building to date.
- 27 April – A Royal Malaysian Air Force RMAF's Sikorsky S-61 Nuri helicopter was shot down by a communist terrorist in Gubir, Kedah killing eleven Malaysian Armed Forces (MAF) military personnel. This was the first killed in action (KIA) in the RMAF history.
- 6 June – Sabah chief ministers and former state Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor), Tun Fuad Stephens was killed in a plane crash near Kota Kinabalu. His body was interred at State Mausoleum near Sabah State Mosque, Kota Kinabalu.
- 14 December – The Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange (KLSE) was incorporated.
Ketahanan Rakyat, meaning the People's Endurance
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Ah Niu – Malaysian Chinese singers
- Choong Tan Fook – Malaysians badminton player (doubles)
- Chew Choon Eng – Malaysians badminton player (doubles)
- Alex Yoong – Malaysian F1 and A1GP driver
- Quzier Ambak – Malaysian equestrian
- Kevin Lim – Malaysian sailing
- Yip Poi Fen – A wife, a mother and a daughter
- 14 January – Tun Abdul Razak - Second Malaysian Prime Minister
- 6 June – Tun Fuad Stephens - Sabah chief ministers and former state Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor)