1979 in Malaysia
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
1979 in Malaysia 22 years of the nationhood
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong:
- Raja Permaisuri Agong:
- Prime Minister: Tun Hussein Onn
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Dr Mahathir Mohammad
- Sultan of Johor: Sultan Ismail
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan:
- Raja of Perlis: Tuanku Syed Putra
- Sultan of Perak: Sultan Idris Shah II
- Sultan of Pahang: Tengku Abdulah (Regent from 29 March)
- Sultan of Selangor: Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
- Sultan of Terengganu:
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Sardon Jubir
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Zahiruddin bin Syed Hassan
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak: Tun Abang Muhammad Salahuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah: Tun Mohd Adnan Robert
- February – Malaysian Industrial Development Authority (MIDA) is established.
- 29 March – Sultan Yahya Petra ibni Almarhum Sultan Ibrahim Petra of Kelantan and the Yang di-Pertuan Agong dies. His body was brought back to Kelantan and laid to rest at Kelantan Royal Mausoleum, Langgar, Kota Bharu.
- 29 March – Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang is elected as the seventh Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
- April – Malaysia become the world's largest exporter of semiconductor industry.
- April – Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. of Japan opened its factories in Shah Alam, Selangor.
- 7 May – RTM2 starts colour television broadcasts.
- 22 May – The Amanah Saham Nasional Berhad is founded
- September – Opening of the Karak Highway and Genting Sempah Tunnel.
Bersatu Berdisiplin, meaning united and disciplined
- Anand Kumar a/l Balakrishna – University of Malaya swimmer.
- Maya Karin — Malaysian singers and actress
- Siti Nurhaliza — Malaysian no.1 singers
- Shahrul Ezam Borhan — Malaysian no.1 physician
- Que Haidar — Malaysian actors
- Vince Chong — Malaysian 1st Reality TV Star
- Yu Heng — Malaysia Famous Composer Singer
- Daphne Iking — Malaysian celebrities
- Mohd Hisyam Kamaruzzaman — Malaysian, Shah Alam MetroASEA's Property Manager
- Tun V.T Sambanthan — former MIC president and Minister of Works and Communications
- E. E. C. Thuraisingham — first local Member (Minister) for Education in the Communities Liaison Committee
- Ibrahim Hj Yaacob — Malayan politician and founder of the Kesatuan Melayu Muda (KMM) (Young Malay Union)
- Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah of Terengganu and 4th Yang di-Pertuan Agong
- Sir Gerald Templer — former British High Commissioner in Malaya