1980 in Malaysia
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
1980 in Malaysia
23 years of the nationhood
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong: Sultan Ahmad Shah
- Raja Permaisuri Agong: Tengku Ampuan Afzan
- Prime Minister: Tun Hussein Onn
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Dr Mahathir Mohammad
- Sultan of Johor: Sultan Ismail
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan: Sultan Ismail Petra
- Raja of Perlis: Tuanku Syed Putra
- Sultan of Perak: Sultan Idris Shah II
- Sultan of Pahang: Tengku Abdulah (Regent)
- Sultan of Selangor: Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
- Sultan of Terengganu: Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Sardon Jubir
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Zahiruddin bin Syed Hassan
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak: Tun Abang Muhammad Salahuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah: Tun Mohd Adnan Robert
- February – Johore Safari World, Malaysia's first safari park is opened to public.
- 5 June – 8 die in the powerful explosions in Port Klang, Selangor.
- 10 July – Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang is installed as Yang di-Pertuan Agong
- 19 July – Malaysia boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games in Soviet Union.
- 31 August – Colour television launches in Sabah and Sarawak by Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM)
- September – The Heavy Industries Corporation of Malaysia Berhad (HICOM) is established.
- 24 October – The Malaysian Highway Authority is founded.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Faiz Khaleed – first Malaysian angkasawan
- Chan Chong Meng – Malaysians badminton player (doubles)
- Josiah Ng – Malaysian track cyclist
- Qabil Ambak – Malaysian equestrian
- Lim Keng Liat – Malaysian swimmer
- Ezane Ismail – Indie Poet
- Nasrizal Ngasri – Malaysian actor
- Farah Fauzana – Malaysian radio announcer