1986 in Malaysia
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
1986 in Malaysia
29 years of nationhood
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong: Sultan Iskandar of Johor
- Raja Permaisuri Agong: Sultanah Zanariah of Johor
- Prime Minister: Dato' Sri Dr Mahathir Mohammad
- Deputy Prime Minister:
- Sultan of Johor: Tunku Ibrahim Ismail (Regent)
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan: Sultan Ismail Petra
- Raja of Perlis: Tuanku Syed Putra
- Sultan of Perak: Sultan Azlan Shah (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Sultan of Pahang: Sultan Ahmad Shah
- Sultan of Selangor: Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
- Sultan of Terengganu: Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Dr Awang Hassan
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Ahmad Al-Haj bin Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak: Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce Mohammed Noor
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah: Tun Mohd Adnan Robert
- 3 January – SMK Lembah Keramat, Selangor was founded and opened to public.
- January – Suleiman Courts residential flats is demolished.
- March – Rioters, protesting against the appointment of the Chief Minister and Head of State, detonated bombs and committed arson around major towns in the 1986 Sabah riots.
- March – Johor Circuit (Pasir Gudang), the second Malaysian race track circuit after Batu Tiga Circuit in Shah Alam, Selangor is officially opened.
- March – Tun Ghafar Baba becomes Deputy Prime Minister replacing Tun Musa Hitam who resigned due to differences of opinion with the prime minister.
- April – Central Market, Kuala Lumpur's newest attraction, is officially opened. Previously it was a wet market.
- 12-16 April – The 1986 Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) General Conference is held.
- 14 April – Sudirman Arshad held an open-air concert on Chow Kit Road, which was the first time ever that a street concert drew a 100,000-person crowd on a Monday night.
- 27 June – Highway Concessionnaires Berhad, Malaysia's second highway concessionnaires operator, is founded.
- 11 July – The P. Ramlee Memorial at Jalan Dedap, Taman P. Ramlee, Setapak, Kuala Lumpur is opened to the public.
- 17 July – The opening of Malacca Sultanate Palace Museum in Malacca City, Malacca.
- 3 August – The 1986 General Elections.
- 17-22 October – The Pudu Prison siege took place at Pudu Prison, Kuala Lumpur. On October 22, the hostage crisis at the prison ended without bloodshed. Six prisoners were captured and two hostages were rescued.
- November – Ferry Malaysia is launched in Kuantan Port, Pahang.
Bangsa Tegas Negara Teguh
- 7 July - Kevin Barlow and Brian Chambers, two Australian nationals hanged to death for the trafficking of 141.9g of heroin.