1988 in Malaysia
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
1988 in Malaysia
31 years of nationhood
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong: Sultan Iskandar
- Raja Permaisuri Agong: Sultanah Zanariah
- Prime Minister: Dato' Sri Dr Mahathir Mohammad
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Ghafar Baba
- Sultan of Johor: Tunku Ibrahim Ismail (Regent)
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan: Sultan Ismail Petra
- Raja of Perlis: Tuanku Syed Putra
- Sultan of Perak:Sultan Azlan Shah (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Sultan of Pahang: Sultan Ahmad Shah
- Sultan of Selangor: Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
- Sultan of Terengganu: Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Dr Awang Hassan
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Ahmad Al-Haj bin Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak: Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce Mohammed Noor
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah: Tun Said Keruak
- 4 February – UMNO has been declared an illegal organisation by the High Court.
- 14 February – UMNO Baru was formed.
- 22 February – The longest hanging dragon in Malaysia was hung at The Mall, Kuala Lumpur during Chinese New Year to mark the Year of the Dragon.
- 1 March – Ipoh was granted city status.
- 11 March – The Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Mosque in Shah Alam, Selangor was fully constructed. This is the largest mosque in Malaysia.
- 13 May – Highway Concessionnaires Berhad changes its name to Projek Lebuhraya Utara-Selatan (PLUS).
- 4 July – The Malaysian constitutional crisis ended.
- July – Opening of the Sultan Ismail Power Station in Paka, Terengganu, the largest power station in Malaysia.
- 31 July – Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal bridge collapse in Butterworth, Penang killed 32 people and injuring 1,674 people.
- 1 August – Kuching was granted city status. It comprising Kuching North and Kuching South.
- 29 August – The biggest Malaysian flag was hung in Angkasapuri and is the largest flag in this country ever hung to date.
- 16 September – Sarawak celebrates its 25th anniversary of independence within Malaysia.
- 21 November – Air France's supersonic Concorde made its first landing at Subang International Airport.
- 18 December – Footballer R Arumugam died in a car accident on Federal Highway near Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
National Day Parade
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Tun Henry H S Lee, First Finance Minister
- Tun Tan Siew Sin, Minister of Commerce and Industry, Minister of Finance and MCA president
- Tengku Ampuan Afzan of Pahang and 7th Raja Permaisuri Agong
- R Arumugam, footballer