1989 Chicago White Sox season
|1989 Chicago White Sox|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Larry Himes|
(Gary Thorne, Tom Paciorek)
|Local radio||WMAQ (AM)
(John Rooney, Wayne Hagin)
(Frank Diaz, Jose Manuel Flores)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1989 Chicago White Sox season was the White Sox's 90th season. They finished with a record 69-92, good enough for 7th place in the American League West, 29.5 games behind of the 1st place Oakland Athletics.
Potential move to Florida
In July 1988, legislators from the State of Illinois narrowly approved a proposal for a new state-financed stadium and a lease deal that would save the team $60 million and kept the White Sox from moving to St. Petersburg, Florida. St. Petersburg has begun construction on an $80 million domed stadium.
The State Senate in Springfield passed the stadium bill by a 30-26 vote about 20 minutes before midnight, then sent it on to the General Assembly, where Gov. James Thompson was involved in political maneuvering on the last day the Legislature was in session.
The money for the ball park, would come from a 2 percent city hotel-motel tax, estimated to be worth at least $8 million a year. The city would add $5 million annually in revenue-sharing funds, and the state would contribute $5 million in hotel-motel tax revenues.
- December 5, 1988: Rich Amaral was drafted by the White Sox from the Chicago Cubs in the 1988 rule 5 draft.
- December 12, 1988: Mike Diaz was released by the White Sox.
- February 10, 1989: Jerry Willard was signed as a free agent with the White Sox.
- March 23, 1989: Kenny Williams was traded by the White Sox to the Detroit Tigers for Eric King.
|Kansas City Royals||92||70||0.568||7||55–26||37–44|
|Chicago White Sox||69||92||0.429||29½||35–45||34–47|
Record vs. opponents
1989 American League Records
1989 Opening Day Lineup
- Ozzie Guillén, ss
- Dave Gallagher, cf
- Harold Baines, dh
- Iván Calderón, rf
- Greg Walker, 1b
- Carlton Fisk, c
- Dan Pasqua, lf
- Steve Lyons, 2b
- Eddie Williams, 3b
- Jerry Reuss, p
- May 8, 1989: Domingo Jean was signed as an amateur free agent by the White Sox.
- June 5, 1989: Frank Thomas was selected by the White Sox in the 1st round (7th pick) of the 1989 Major League Baseball Draft.
- July 1, 1989: Richard Dotson was signed as a free agent by the White Sox.
- July 29, 1989: Harold Baines and Fred Manrique were traded by the White Sox to the Texas Rangers for Sammy Sosa, Wilson Alvarez, and Scott Fletcher.
|1989 Chicago White Sox|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; BB = Base on balls; SO = Strikeouts; AVG = Batting average; SB = Stolen bases
|Harold Baines, DH,RF||96||333||55||107||20||1||13||56||60||52||.321||0|
|Daryl Boston, OF||101||218||34||55||3||4||5||23||24||31||.252||7|
|Ivan Calderon, OF,DH,1B||157||622||83||178||34||9||14||87||43||94||.286||7|
|Carlton Fisk, C||103||375||47||110||25||2||13||68||36||60||.293||1|
|Scott Fletcher, 2B,SS||59||232||30||63||11||1||1||21||26||19||.272||1|
|Dave Gallagher, OF||161||601||74||160||22||2||1||46||46||79||.266||5|
|Ozzie Guillen, SS||155||597||63||151||20||8||1||54||15||48||.253||36|
|Jerry Hairston, PH||3||3||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||.333||0|
|Lance Johnson, OF||50||180||28||54||8||2||0||16||17||24||.300||16|
|Ron Karkovice, C||71||182||21||48||9||2||3||24||10||56||.264||0|
|Ron Kittle, 1B,DH,LF||51||169||26||51||10||0||11||37||22||42||.302||0|
|Steve Lyons, 2B,1B,3B,OF||140||443||51||117||21||3||2||50||35||68||.264||9|
|Fred Manrique, 2B||65||187||23||56||13||1||2||30||8||30||.299||0|
|Carlos Martinez, 3B,1B,LF||109||350||44||105||22||0||5||32||21||57||.300||4|
|Matt Merullo, C||31||81||5||18||1||0||1||8||6||14||.222||0|
|Russ Morman, 1B||37||58||5||13||2||0||0||8||6||16||.224||1|
|Dan Pasqua, OF,DH||73||246||26||61||9||1||11||47||25||58||.248||1|
|Billy Jo Robidoux, 1B||16||39||2||5||2||0||0||1||4||9||.128||0|
|Jeff Schaefer, SS,2B,3B||15||10||2||1||0||0||0||0||0||2||.100||1|
|Sammy Sosa, OF||33||99||19||27||5||0||3||10||11||27||.273||7|
|Robin Ventura, 3B||16||45||5||8||3||0||0||7||8||6||.178||0|
|Greg Walker, 1B,DH||77||233||25||49||14||0||5||26||23||50||.210||0|
|Eddie Williams, 3B||66||201||25||55||8||0||3||10||18||31||.274||1|
Note: W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; SV = Saves; IP = Innings pitched; H = Hits allowed; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; HR = Home runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Vancouver, Birmingham, South Bend
- White Sox Are Safe at Home - New York Times
- Rich Amaral page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Diaz page at Baseball Reference
- Jerry Willard page at Baseball Reference
- Kenny Williams page at Baseball Reference
- Domingo Jean page at Baseball Reference
- Frank Thomas page at Baseball Reference
- Richard Dotson page at Baseball Reference
- Sammy Sosa page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 1997