1989 Texas Rangers season
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|1989 Texas Rangers|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||George W. Bush|
|General manager(s)||Tom Grieve|
(Bob Carpenter, Steve Busby)
(Greg Lucas, Norm Hitzges, Merle Harmon)
(Eric Nadel, Mark Holtz )
|< Previous season Next season >|
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- October 11, 1988: Guy Hoffman was released by the Rangers.
- December 5, 1988: Paul Kilgus, Mitch Williams, Curtis Wilkerson, Steve Wilson, Luis Benitez (minors) and Pablo Delgado (minors) were traded by the Rangers to the Chicago Cubs in exchange for Rafael Palmeiro, Jamie Moyer and Drew Hall.
- December 6, 1988: Pete O'Brien, Oddibe McDowell, and Jerry Browne were traded by the Rangers to the Cleveland Indians for Julio Franco.
- December 7, 1988: Nolan Ryan was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- January 6, 1989: Cecilio Guante was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- January 6, 1989: Jim Sundberg was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- January 23, 1989: Rick Leach was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- June 16, 1989: Sammy Sosa made his major league debut in a game against the New York Yankees. In four at-bats, Sosa appeared in 4 at-bats and had 2 hits.
- August 22, 1989: Against the eventual World Champion Oakland A's, Ryan became the first pitcher ever to record 5,000 career strikeouts. He struck out Rickey Henderson in the fifth inning to break the 5,000 barrier.
- Rubén Sierra had a career year as he led the AL in triples and RBI but ranked 6th in Home Runs (29), third in runs scored (101) and 5th in hits (194). He set the club record for most total bases in a season (344), which also led the league.
|Kansas City Royals||92||70||0.568||7||55–26||37–44|
|Chicago White Sox||69||92||0.429||29½||35–45||34–47|
Record vs. opponents
1989 American League Records
- July 29, 1989: Sammy Sosa, Wilson Álvarez, and Scott Fletcher were traded by the Rangers to the Chicago White Sox for Harold Baines and Fred Manrique.
|1989 Texas Rangers|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
Awards and honors
- Julio Franco, Silver Slugger Award, 1989
- Jeff Russell, Rolaids Relief Man of the Year Award1989
- Nolan Ryan, American League Leader Strikeouts (301)
- Rubén Sierra, Silver Slugger Award, 1989
- Rubén Sierra, American League Leader, Triples (14)
- Rubén Sierra, American League Leader, RBI (119)
- Rubén Sierra, American League Leader, Total Bases (344)
- Julio Franco, Second Baseman, Starter
- Rubén Sierra, Outfield, Starter
- Nolan Ryan, Pitcher, Reserve
- Jeff Russell, Relief Pithcer, Reserve
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Charlotte
- Guy Hoffman at Baseball Reference
- Paul Kilgus at Baseball Reference
- Julio Franco at Baseball Reference
- Nolan Ryan at Baseball Reference
- Cecilio Guante at Baseball Reference
- Jim Sundberg at Baseball Reference
- Rick Leach at Baseball Reference
- Sammy Sosa at Baseball Reference
- The Nolan Ryan Express | The Strikeout King | smackbomb.com/nolanryan
- 1989 Texas Rangers at Baseball Reference
- 1989 Texas Rangers at Baseball Almanac
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (2007). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (3rd ed.). Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-17-6.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>