1996 in Malaysia is the 39th anniversary of Malaysia's independence.
- 6 January – A landslide blocks the North-South Expressway (NSE) near Gua Tempurung, Perak.
- 12 January – The first Malaysian satellite MEASAT 1 is launched by Ariane rocket from Kourou, French Guiana
- 17 February – Twenty-four people, seven of them policemen, were injured in rioting at the Sungai Besi camp for Vietnamese illegal immigrants.
- February – First Le Tour de Langkawi cycling tour.
- 12 February – The Multimedia Super Corridor is established.
- 2 March – The body remains of the Malay Sarawakian nationalist Rosli Dhobie was brought back from Kuching Central Prison to Sibu.
- 6 March – Perodua Rusa, Malaysian first domestically manufactured van is launched.
- 1 April – Radio Televisyen Malaysia, celebrated its 50 years anniversary
- 14 April – The Sungai Besi camp for Vietnamese illegal immigrants is officially closed.
- May – Malaysia's first domestically-produced motorcycle, Modenas Kriss is launched.
- May – The construction of the Bakun Dam projects has begun.
- 1 June – Astro, Malaysian's first satellite television provider was launched grand opened inaugurated officially by Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad and broadcasts from Kuala Lumpur. This broadcast area was only limited to Klang Valley area.
- June – Malaysia Electric Corporation, Malaysia's first electrical appliances manufacturer is launched.
- 2 July – A new version of Malaysian Ringgit RM 2 notes is introduced.
- 16 July – A bus, ferrying a group of factory workers and their families on a holiday excursion, plunged into a 120m-deep ravine at km 1 of the Genting Sempah-Genting Highlands Highway near the Genting Highlands Resort, killing 17 of them. Six were children.
- 2 August – The 1996 Peninsular Malaysia electricity blackout crisis.
- 29 August – A mud avalanche near Pos Dipang Orang Asli settlement in Kampar, Perak kills 44 people.
- 8 September – Official opening of the Light Rail Transit System (Sistem Transit Aliran Ringan) (STAR LRT) Phase 1 from Sultan Ismail to Ampang.
- 1 October – The Kuala Lumpur Tower at Bukit Nanas is officially opened by Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad.
- 8 October – The Malay political party, Semangat 46 is officially dissolved.
- 27 October – Michael Jackson held his concert in Malaysia for the first time at Merdeka Stadium, Kuala Lumpur.
- 2 November – The Sungai Buloh Prison in Sungai Buloh, Selangor becomes the federal prison, replacing Pudu Prison in Kuala Lumpur.
- 29 November – Official opening of the new Pusat Sains Negara (National Science Centre) building in Bukit Damansara, Kuala Lumpur.
- 18 December – The Yang di-Pertuan Muda of Terengganu, Tengku Mizan Zainal Abidin marries Nur Zahirah.
- 26 December – Several parts of Sabah were hit by the Greg tropical storms. More than 250 people were killed.
Budaya Penantu Kecapaian
National Day Parade
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)