2001 in Malaysia
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
2001 in Malaysia is the 44th anniversary of Malaysia's independence.
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong:
- Raja Permaisuri Agong:
- Prime Minister: Dato' Sri Dr Mahathir Mohammad
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Sri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi
- Sultan of Johor: Sultan Iskandar
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan: Sultan Ismail Petra
- Raja of Perlis: Tuanku Syed Faizuddin (Regent from 27 November)
- Sultan of Perak: Sultan Azlan Shah
- Sultan of Pahang: Sultan Ahmad Shah
- Sultan of Selangor:
- Sultan of Terengganu: Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang:
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Ahmad Al-Haj bin Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak: Tun Abang Muhammad Salahuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah: Tun Sakaran Dandai
- 15 January — Nine people were killed and five seriously injured when an express bus and a trailer lorry collided head-on at the 24th kilometre of the Sarikei-Sibu road (Pan Borneo Highway) during heavy rain.
- April — Malaysia Airlines became the first airline in the world to pilot a twin-engine commercial jet through the newly opened polar routes, passing through the inhospitable regions of Russia and North Alaska.
- 12 April — Twelve women and a boy were killed when a bus skidded and crashed into a ditch off the Pengkalan Hulu-Baling road near Baling, Kedah.
- 16 April — KL Sentral the biggest transportation station in Kuala Lumpur as well in Malaysia is opened replacing the old Kuala Lumpur Railway Station.
- 17 April — Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin is installed as Raja of Perlis.
- 29 June — Dewan Tunku Canselor at University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur was destroyed on fire.
- 12 August — A 'fireball' UFO was spotted somewhere at the Second Link that joins Malaysia and Singapore.
- 5 September — MyKad, the Malaysian Government Multipurpose Card (GMPC) is launched.
- 11 September — The September 11 attacks in New York, USA. More than 2,602 people were killed including three Malaysians.
- 21 November — The Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah of Selangor dies at the age of 75. A well-loved, down-to-earth monarch, His body was brought back to Selangor and laid to rest at royal mausoleum near Sultan Sulaiman Mosque, Klang. On that day, the Raja Muda of Selangor Tengku Idris Shah become as the 9th Sultan of Selangor with the title Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah.
- 27 November — Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin of Perlis become as the 12th Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
- 8 September - 17 September — The Kuala Lumpur 2001, XXI Southeast Asian Games - Malaysian become the champions of the games taking 111 gold medals
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Hairol Azmi Buntat — Malaysian touring car drivers
- Khadijah Awang — Mak Yong dancers
- Dato' Hormat Rafaei — former Selangor Menteri Besar
- Rambo Chin — actors
- Azhari Ahmad (Zairie) — a member of Raihan nasyid group
- Maznah Ismail aka Mona Fandey, Mohd Affendi Abdul Rahman and Juraimi Hussin — Three famous criminal that they killed Dato' Mazlan Idris, a Batu Talam DUN assemblyman of Pahang state. were executed (hanged) to death in Kajang Prison Selangor (2 November).
- Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah of Selangor – 11th Yang di-Pertuan Agong
- Usman Awang — Malay author
- Hamzah Awang Amat, Seniman Negara (Wayang Kulit)