2003–04 Saint Joseph's Hawks men's basketball team
|2003–04 Saint Joseph's Hawks men's basketball|
|2003–04 record||30–2 (16–0 Atlantic 10)|
|Head coach||Phil Martelli|
|Assistant coach||Mark Bass|
|Assistant coach||Matt Brady|
|Assistant coach||Monté Ross|
|Home arena||Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse|
The 2003-2004 Saint Joseph's University Hawks men's basketball team was one of 25 teams to finish the regular season undefeated in men's division I basketball. They were the last to do so until Wichita State did it in 2014. Under coach Phil Martelli, the Hawks held an overall record of 27-0 and a conference record of 16-0 in the regular season before losing to Xavier in the A-10 tournament and eventually Oklahoma State in the East-Regional Final of the NCAA Tournament.
- Jameer Nelson, (20.6 ppg/4.7 rpg)
- Delonte West, (18.9 ppg/5.4 rpg)
- Dwayne Jones, (6.4 ppg/7.0 rpg)
- Pat Carroll, (10.1 ppg/3.6 rpg)
- Tyrone Barley, (7.2 pgg/1.0 rpg)
- Chet Stachitas
- John Bryant
- Dwayne Lee
- Dave Mallon
- Arvydas Lidzius
- Artur Surov
- Robert Hartshorn
- Brian Jesiolowski
- Rob Sullivan
- Andrew Koefer
Schedule and results
Asterisk designates NCAA D-1 Tournament game.
|11/29||Old Dominion||A||75–72 W|
|12/2||San Francisco||H||84–52 W|
|12/9||Boston College||H||67–57 W|
|1/3||George Washington||H||90–81 W|
|1/24||St. Bonaventure||A||114–63 W|
|2/7||La Salle||H||89-63 W|
|2/14||Rhode Island||H||73–59 W|
|2/28||Rhode Island||A||57–55 W|
|3/2||St. Bonaventure||H||82–50 W|
|3/20||Texas Tech*||N||70–65 W|
|3/25||Wake Forest*||N||84-80 W|
|3/27||Oklahoma State*||N||64-62 L|
The Hawks dominated the regular season, going 27-0 for the season. In the Atlantic 10 Tournament, the Hawks received a #1 seed, which included a first-round bye. However, they lost badly to the Xavier Musketeers 87-67. Despite their early exit, the Hawks still received a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. The Hawks also won the Philadelphia Big 5, going 4-0 in the process.
The Hawks received a #1 seed, and defeated Liberty, Texas Tech, and Wake Forest in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds, respectively. In the Elite 8 match-up against Oklahoma State, the Hawks lost by 2 points. John Lucas III of Oklahoma State hit a go-ahead three with only a few seconds left. On the ensuing possession, Jameer Nelson attempted to tie the game, but his 15 ft. shot fell short.
- The Hawks progressed to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1981.
- Sports Illustrated named shouting Saint Joseph's staple chant, "The Hawk Will Never Die," as the number 12 thing "you gotta do before you graduate."
- The Hawks earned a spot in the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame after receiving the Pride of Philadelphia award in 2004.
- Jameer Nelson was the 20th draft pick in the NBA draft of 2004 by the Denver Nuggets.
- Delonte West was the 24th draft pick in the NBA draft of 2004 by the Boston Celtics.
- Pat Carroll was a second round draft pick in the NBA Development League draft of 2009 by the Iowa Energy.
- Dwayne Jones was signed as a free agent in 2005 by the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Stat Sheet-St. Josephs (PA) Hawks-Retrieved 2012-24-2
- Saint Joseph's Hawks Schedule - 2003-04
- St. Joseph's, Pennsylvania NCAA Tournament Result s
- The 100 Things You Gotta Do Before You Graduate (Whatever the Cost))
- NBA Draft History: 2004 Draft
- NBA Draft History: 2004 Draft
- Philly Hoops Insider
- Minnesota Timberwolves Sign Free-Agent Forward/Center Dwayne Jones