2007 in Malaysia
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
2007 in Malaysia is the 50th anniversary of Malaysia's independence.
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong: Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin of Terengganu
- Raja Permaisuri Agong: Sultanah Nur Zahirah of Terengganu
- Prime Minister: Dato' Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Seri Najib Tun Abdul Razak
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Menteri Besar of Kedah: Datuk Seri Madhzir Khalid
- Sultan of Terengganu: Tengku Muhammad Ismail (Regent)
- Menteri Besar of Terengganu: Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Menteri Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Datuk Seri Mohammad Hasan
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Abdul Rahman Abbas
- Chief Minister of Penang: Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Mohd Khalil Yaakob
- Chief Minister of Malacca: Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak: Tun Abang Muhammad Salahuddin
- Chief Minister of Sarawak: Pehin Seri Haji Abdul Taib bin Mahmud
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah: Tun Ahmad Shah Abdullah
- Chief Minister of Sabah: Datuk Seri Musa Aman
- 1 January – Visit Malaysia Year 2007 officially begins.
- 6 January – The opening ceremony for the Visit Malaysia Year 2007 and the Eye on Malaysia Ferris wheel at Titiwangsa Lake Gardens, Kuala Lumpur.
- 9 January – More than—students were killed in the landslide in Sandakan, Sabah.
- 10 January – Several parts of Johor were hit by flash floods again.
- 11 January – Bloggers Jeff Ooi and Ahirudin Attan were sued by the New Straits Times Press (NSTP) for libel. The suit is still in progress, as of April 2007.
- 28 January – Pahang's DUN Batu Talam by-election, Barisan Nasional (BN) won in this elections.
- 2 February – The KLCI passes the 1,200 mark hurdle.
- February – The El Nino phenomenon begins.
- 23 February – Nusajaya, new planning city part of the South Johor Economic Region (SJER) is launched.
- 24 February – Malaysia's world smallest microchip with radio technology is launched.
- 27 February – The KLCI fell 35.79 points from a high of 1272.87 after global market suffered losses amid fears of capital control. The index continued to plunge 72.40 points for the next three days, to 1,164.68 points, as of 2 March. The index regained its lost points in April 2007.
- 9 March – 6 passengers were killed in the 2007 Kuala Kangsar bus crash on the North-South Expressway near Menora Tunnel, Perak.
- 25 March – Royal Malaysian Police celebrates its 200th anniversary of the police force.
- 2 April – Firefly, the second low cost carrier company began operations.
- 4 April - A bomb hoax found at the Penang Bridge caused the bridge to close for more than two hours (from 4:30 pm) and reopened to traffic at 7:00 pm after a bomb disposal squad declared it safe.
- 8 April – Gerakan's party president Dato' Seri Dr. Lim Keng Yaik retired.
- 12 April – Malacca's DUN Machap by-election. Barisan Nasional's (BN) candidates Lai Meng Chong won in this elections with a reduced majority of 4,065 votes.
- 15 April – The UMNO Youth (Pemuda UMNO) parachute team lands at North Pole for the first time.
- 18 April – Opening of the Kuala Lumpur Courts Complex at Jalan Duta.
- 26 April – Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin is installed as the 13th Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
- 28 April – Selangor's DUN Ijok by-election. Barisan Nasional's (BN) candidates K. Parthiban won in this elections with a majority of 1,850 votes.
- 14 May – Opening for the motorway tunnel sections of the Stormwater Management and Road Tunnel (SMART).
- 17 May – Raja Muda Nazrin Shah of Perak marries Zara Salim Davidson.
- 24 May – The 18 Sukhoi Su-30MKM Flanker strike fighter jet has now delivered to Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) for the first time.
- 28 May – Malaysia's first foreign immigration multipurpose card I-Kad is launched.
- 30 May – Eight family members were killed in a highway crash in North-South Expressway near Hutan Kampung toll plaza, Kedah.
- 30 May – The Federal Court rejected Lina Joy's appeal to get the National Registration Department to remove the word 'Islam' from her identity card.
- 9 June – Malaysian Prime Minister, Abdullah Ahmad Badawi married Jeanne Abdullah
- 9 June – The bird flu decease detected in Paya Jaras, Selangor.
- 10 June – Several areas in Kuala Lumpur were hit by flash floods since 10 June 2003.
- 18 June – The Altantuya Shaaribuu's murder trial had begun.
- 23 June – Opening for the stormwater tunnel sections of the Stormwater Management and Road Tunnel (SMART).
- 26 June – Tycoon Tan Sri Eric Chia is acquitted of committing criminal breach of trust involving RM 76.4 million - after 13 years.
- 6 July – The Companies Commission of Malaysia is taking four CTOS company officials to court for contravening the Companies Act 1965.
- 7 July – The construction of the Bukit Tagar Incinerator was cancelled.
- 10 July – Malaysia one of the host of the 2007 Asian Cup crashed 1-5 defeat to China during first matches.
- 13 July – Six crew were killed in the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) S-61 Nuri helicopter crash at Genting Sempah, Pahang.
- 15 July – Tengku Mahkota of Pahang, Tengku Abdullah ibni Sultan Ahmad Shah resigned as the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) Deputy President.
- 30–31 July – Official launching of the Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER)
- 31 July - The Rapid Penang bus service was launched.
- 1 August - The Malaysiaku Gemilang theme song was launched.
- 3 August - At midnight, the Malaysiaku Gemilang theme song was heard nationwide on all radio and television stations.
- August – The Merdeka Stadium was officially classed by the Ministry of Culture, Arts and Heritage (KeKKWa) as a national heritage and historical building.
- 11 August – The completion of upgrading works on the North-South Expressway, including:-
- 13 August - 20 passengers were killed in a bus crash in the North-South Expressway near Bukit Gantang, Changkat Jering, Perak. It is one of the worst road accidents that has ever occurred in Malaysian history.
- 15 August - Proton Persona sedan car is launched.
- 18-30 August - The first Malaysian International Fireworks Competition (MIFC 2007) is held in Putrajaya.
- 29 August - Malaysia won the 2007 Merdeka Cup after beating Myanmar 3-1.
- 31 August – Malaysia celebrates 50 years of independence.
- 3 September - Radio24, the only 24-hour news and talk radio station in Malaysia is launched.
- 7 September - Malaysian Budget 2008 is announced at the Parliament.
- 7–9 September - The Kuala Lumpur International Tattoo 2007 is held in Merdeka Stadium, Kuala Lumpur.
- 9 September - Riots in Kuala Terengganu.
- 12 September - The Penang Global City Centre project is officially launched.
- 21 September - An eight-year-old girl, Nurin Jazlin Jazimin who was abducted on 20 August last month is confirmed dead.
- 24 September - Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor and Faiz Khaleed are the first Malaysian angkasawan (cosmonaut).
- 27 September - The Kajang-Seremban Highway bridge at Semenyih interchange collapsed onto the Kajang-Semenyih road.
- 28 September - State and federal officers raided a shop in Section 7, Shah Alam, where they arrested four men and one woman between the ages of 27 and 35 in connection with the murder of Nurin Jazlin Jazimin. The woman was released after questioning, while the men were remanded to police custody for seven days.
- 1 October – Civil defence (991) and fire department (994) phone number are now combined to 999 emergency phone number.
- 4 October – Mechanical heart girl Tee Hui Yee successfully underwent a heart transplant at National Heart Institute (IJN), Kuala Lumpur
- 10 October – The first Malaysian angkasawan (cosmonaut), Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor is launched towards the International Space Station (ISS) on board Soyuz TMA-11 he is the Malaysian to be sent to space by angkasa. He was launched at Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan.
- 13 October – 4 passengers were killed in the ferry tragedy near Tioman Island, Pahang.
- 21 October – The first Malaysian angkasawan (cosmonaut), Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor returns to earth using Soyuz TMA-10 capsule.
- 22 October – The second Malaysian angkasawan (cosmonaut), Dr Faiz Khaleed is promoted Mejar (Major) by the Royal Malaysian Air Force.
- 23 October – Official launching of the first Malaysian submarine, Scorpène class and officially renamed KD Tunku Abdul Rahman.
- 30 October – Official launching of the East Coast Economic Region (ECER)
- 31 October - Royal Commission of Inquiry into the Lingam Video Clip is formed to investigate into an allegation of illegal intervention into the judicial appointment process of Malaysian judges purportedly occurred in 2002.
- 2 November – AirAsia X launched its inaugural flights from its base Kuala Lumpur to Gold Coast, Australia.
- 10 November – More than 40,000 people in Kuala Lumpur participate in an peaceful rally against corruption in the electoral process in Malaysia.
- 14 November – The RM4.5 million Perak State Park Corporation's administrative building near Temenggor Lake collapse.
- 25 November – More than 5,000 to 30,000 of the Hindu Rights Action Force (HINDRAF) supporters in Kuala Lumpur participate in an illegal gathering outside the British High Commission building.
- 27 November – The first Made in Malaysia's monorail "Sutra" is launched
- 28 November – Guthrie Berhad and Golden Hope has now merged into one giant plantations company Sime Darby.
- 30 November – Malaysia's first portable computer "Makcik PC" is launched.
- 2 December – Three paratroopers were killed in the incident during mock exercise of Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA 2007) in Langkawi, Kedah.
- December – Several parts of East Coast of peninsula including Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang and Johor were hit by flash floods.
- 8 December – Eight family members were killed in an accidents at km—of Gua Musang Highway near Gua Musang.
- 10 December – PAS vice-president Mohamad Sabu and Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) information chief Tian Chua were among eight people arrested for alleged involvement in the 2007 Bersih rally last month.
- 11 December – Seven people were killed and 28 were injured in a collision between an express bus and a latex tanker at the Jelapang toll plaza in Ipoh, Perak.
- 13 December – Five HINDRAF leaders including V. Ganabathirau (chief leader) were arrested under the Internal Security Act (ISA)
- 7–15 December – The 2007 SEA Games at Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand. Malaysia got 68 gold medals in this games.
- 21 December – Opening of the Bukit Bunga-Ban Buketa Bridge of Malaysia-Thailand border in Kelantan.
- 26 December – Two villagers were buried alive in a major landslide, which destroyed nine wooden houses in Lorong 1, Kampung Baru Cina, Kapit, Sarawak
Malaysiaku Gemilang (My Glorious Malaysia)
National Day Parade
- 6–8 April – Petronas Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix 2007
- 7 – 29 July – Asian Cup 2007
- 13 – 19 August – 2007 BWF World Championships
- 5 – 19 August – Champion Youth Cup Malaysia 2007
- 20 and 22 November – Malaysian Independence Tennis Festival 2007
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Datuk Nik Hassan Abdul Rahman – former Terengganu Menteri Besar (1941–1974)
- Nazari Abu Bakar – Stuntman of the film Jangan Pandang Belakang
- Tan Sri Abdul Malik Ahmad – Lord President of the Malayan High Court
- Datuk Wira Poh Ah Tiam – Malaysian politician, senior Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA) official and state assemblyman for Machap, Malacca
- Syed Hussein Alatas – Former politician, academic and founder of the Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia (PGRM).
- Loganathan Arumugam (Loga) – Member of the Alleycats band group
- Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong – Genting Group founder and chairman.
- Kasma Booty – Malay actress
- Tan Sri Michael Chang Min Tat – Federal Court judge
- Tan Sri Basir Ismail – Former chairman of the Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad and Sepang International Circuit (SIC)
- Tony Kassim – Malay actors
- Datuk Lim Kean Siew – Prominent lawyer
- Dato' Albert Mah – Former Bukit Bendera Member of Parliament and Penang state police chief.
- Tan Sri Othman Saat – former Johor Menteri Besar (1967–1982)
- Datuk K. Sivalingam – Malaysian politician, Selangor State Executive Councillor and state assemblyman for Ijok, Selangor
- Chong Ted Tsiung – Kuching South city mayor
- Izi Yahya – Malay actors
- Hussein Abu Hassan – Malay actors and directors
- Robert Kong – Malaysian Chinese actors and comedians
- 16 September - Nurin Jazlin — Murder victim (born 1999)