|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1990s 2000s 2010s – 2020s – 2030s 2040s 2050s|
|Years:||2017 2018 2019 – 2020 – 2021 2022 2023|
|Ab urbe condita||2773|
|British Regnal year||68 Eliz. 2 – 69 Eliz. 2|
|Chinese calendar||己亥年 (Earth Pig)
4716 or 4656
— to —
庚子年 (Metal Rat)
4717 or 4657
|- Vikram Samvat||2076–2077|
|- Shaka Samvat||1942–1943|
|- Kali Yuga||5121–5122|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 32
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 109
|Thai solar calendar||2563|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2020.|
2020 (MMXX) is the current year, and is a leap year starting on Wednesday (dominical letter ED) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2020th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 20th year of the 3rd millennium, the 20th year of the 21st century, and the 1st year of the 2020s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- Planned initial observations by the Square Kilometre Array radio telescope.
- Planned launch of NASA's Mars 2020 mission to study the habitability of Mars and prepare for future human missions.
- Planned launch of Euclid.
- The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository was scheduled to begin accepting nuclear waste.
- Planned completion of the North-south line of the Hong Kong MTR from Railway Development Strategy in 2000, yet it is very unlikely that it has been built by then.
- The main segment of track extending from San Francisco to Anaheim of the California High Speed Rail system is expected to be completed.
- India's space agency, ISRO, plans to send a manned space mission to the moon in this year.
- Earliest year that power aboard the space probes Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 is expected to terminate (though either probe may function past this date).
- The Large Hadron Collider will be substantially upgraded.
- Estimated completion date for the Compass navigation system.
- Planned completion date for the Chinese space station is "around 2020" according to Zhang Hailian of the China Manned Space Engineering Office.
- The London Underground Northern line extension from Kennington to Battersea via Nine Elms is planned to be opened in 2020.
- London's Crossrail is scheduled to be in full service by 2020.
- Liberia will become the first nation in Africa to completely stop cutting down its trees in return for development aid – Norway will pay the impoverished country $150m to stop deforestation by 2020.
- Brazil will end analog TV transmissions.
Computer and video games
- Raid 2020 (1989)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (1991): The Level "Neon Night Riders" Takes place in 2020.
- Super Baseball 2020 (1991)
- Keitai Denjū Telefang (2000)
- Command and Conquer: Generals (2003)
- Half-Life 2 (2004)
- Perfect Dark Zero (2005)
- Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (2006)
- Crysis (2007)
- Tom Clancy's EndWar (2008)
- Supreme Ruler 2020 (2008)
- MAG: Massive Action Game (2010) The second war of the S.V.E.R starts off in 2020
- Battlefield 4 (2013)
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (2013) (UR-1 Incident part only, while the rest of the game is 2027)
- SimCity 3000 (1999) Microwave power plants are invented.
- Cyberpunk 2020 (1990)
- Roujin Z (1991)
- Mission to Mars (2000)
- Yesterday (2002)
- Reign of Fire (2002)
- I, Robot (2003) Although the film is set in 2035, the U.S.R robotics company in the film is said to be founded in 2020.
- Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
- Thunderbirds (2004)
- Real Steel (2011)
- A Fairly Odd Movie (2011)
- Sealab 2020 (1972)
- Terrahawks (1983)
- Knights of God (1987)
- Dark Angel (2000), second half of Season One and first half of Season Two
- Supervolcano (2005)
- Sekirei: (2008) A Japanese Manga and Anime series takes place in Tokyo of the "New Eastern Imperial Capital".
- Dollhouse (2009), The events of the series finale takes place.
- Doctor Who: The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood (2010)
- The series finale of Glee (2015) takes place in this year.
- Ace Enders and a Million Different People has a song on their debut CD, The Secret Wars called "Bring Back Love (Year 2020)" It is about helping the financially unstable and bringing back a general love among humans.
- In Head Automatica's song, "Graduation Day", the music video foretold that in the year 2020, the goth girl who is graduating will become the President of the United States.
- In Eminem's song, "We Made You", from his 2009 album Relapse, the rapper mentions the year 2020 in the outro of the song, in the line "Dr. Dre, 2020, yeah!"
- At the beginning of Ice Cube's music video for the song, "Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It", from his 2007 album Raw Footage, a line of text states that "By the year 2020, no child will be left behind" which is followed by an Orwellian classroom setting designed as a segue into the song's sarcastic theme of blame-shifting and anti-gangsta rap propaganda during the waning days of the presidency of George W. Bush.
- "Olympics 2020: Tokyo wins race to host Games - BBC Sport". Bbc.co.uk. September 7, 2013. Retrieved November 12, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Expo 2020 Dubai, First World Expo in the Middle East". Bie-paris.org. Retrieved March 14, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Overview - 2020 Mission Plans". Mars.nasa.gov. Retrieved November 12, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "NRC inspector general: Chairman withheld information in Yucca shutdown". The Daily Caller. June 15, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Dean Nelson (February 23, 2009). "India to spend £1.7bn sending man to the moon". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved January 29, 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- ""Big Bang" machine to get huge upgrade in 2020". Reuters. November 17, 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "China GPS rival Beidou starts offering navigation data". BBC News. BBC. December 27, 2011. Retrieved January 29, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- [dead link]
- "Liberia signs 'transformational' deal to stem deforestation". BBC. September 23, 2014. Retrieved September 23, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "TV programs worth watching". Cpa.org.au. Retrieved November 12, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>