From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2010s 2020s 2030s – 2040s – 2050s 2060s 2070s|
|Years:||2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049|
Notable predictions and known events
- August 12: A total solar eclipse will take place in the United States, producing a path from California to Florida. Some parts of Florida are predicted to experience totality for six minutes, the longest in US history.
- Ray Kurzweil in The Singularity Is Near places the emergence of the technological singularity in 2045.
- July 1: Hong Kong's special administrative status ends. According to Chapter I, Article 5 of Hong Kong's Basic Law, "The socialist system and policies shall not be practised in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, and the previous capitalist system and way of life shall remain unchanged for 50 years." The Basic Law was adopted in 1997; those 50 years come to an end in 2047.
- In The Simpsons episode, "Holidays of Future Passed", the episode set in December 2041, Bart is a deadbeat dad living in Springfield Elementary (which is now an apartment complex instead of a school) with Principal Skinner as his landlord. Meanwhile, a pregnant Maggie goes into labor. This is 30 years after the episode was first broadcast in 2011.
- The 2012 movie Looper takes place mostly in 2044.
- The book Ready Player One is set in 2044.
- The events of the episode, "Days of Future Future" (2014), from the animated series The Simpsons, is set in 2044.
- The 1991 movie Critters 4 is set in 2045.
- The 2005 movie Doom is set in 2046.
- Godannar, which is animated by Oriental Light and Magic, the same animation studio that did Pokémon, is set in 2047.
- The first Anti-Gravity Racing League is established in the world of the futuristic video game series WipEout.
- The 2013 television series Almost Human is set in 2048.