478th Tactical Fighter Squadron
|478th Tactical Fighter Squadron|
Emblem of the 478th Tactical Fighter Squadron
|Branch||United States Air Force|
Activated in December 1954 at Cannon AFB, New Mexico. Initially equipped with F-86H Sabres. Upgraded in late 1957 to the F-100D Super Sabre. Aircraft initially had green diagonal stripes on tail, later changing to black and white. The squadron received some of the last production batch of the F-100 from North American, the production line closing in December 1957.
Trained for proficiency and operational readiness in the Super Sabre, deploying on Tactical Air Command directed deployments. In 1962, deployed to 6010th Tactical Group at Takhli RTAFB, Thailand, one of the early expeditionary fighter squadrons of the Vietnam War. Squadron began, phasing down for replacement with the General Dynamics F-111A and a move to Nellis AFB in late 1965.
Instead, the squadron was reassigned to Homestead AFB, Florida as a filler organization for the 4531st Tactical Fighter Wing, as the 31st Tactical Fighter Wing had deployed to South Vietnam. Received F-4C Phantom IIs upon assignment, upgrading to F-4Ds in August 1967. Mission at Homestead primarily was to provide air defense of South Florida in wake of Cuban Missile Crisis, operating the Phantom and gaining proficiency in the aircraft. Was upgraded to the F-4E in November 1968.
Provisional wing began rotational TDY deployments to Kunsan AB, South Korea in June 1969, being attached to the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing, carrying tail code "ZE", with white outlined blue fin cap, containing white arrows. 478th assigned to Kunsan 21 May 1970, reassigned to 54th TFW at Kunsan when 354th moved to Myrtle Beach AFB, South Carolina in June 1970. Remained in South Korea until September 1970, returning to Homestead.
- Activated as 478th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 13 December 1954
- Re-designated: 478th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 1 July 1958
- Inactivated on 31 October 1970
- 474th Fighter-Bomber Group, 13 December 1954
- 474th Fighter-Bomber (later Tactical Fighter) Wing, 8 October 1957 – 1 November 1966
- Attached to 405th Fighter-Bomber Wing, 23 May-8 June 1962
- Not operational, 15 Sep 1965-1 Nov 1966
- 4531st Tactical Fighter Wing, 1 November 1966
- Attached to: 354th Tactical Fighter Wing, 21 May-14 June 1970
- Attached to: 54th Tactical Fighter Wing, 15 June-2 September 1970
- 31st Tactical Fighter Wing, 15–31 October 1970
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947–1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.