|Centuries:||5th century – 6th century – 7th century|
|Decades:||480s 490s 500s – 510s – 520s 530s 540s|
|Years:||508 509 510 – 511 – 512 513 514|
|511 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1264|
|Chinese calendar||庚寅年 (Metal Tiger)
3207 or 3147
— to —
辛卯年 (Metal Rabbit)
3208 or 3148
|- Vikram Samvat||567–568|
|- Shaka Samvat||433–434|
|- Kali Yuga||3612–3613|
|Iranian calendar||111 BP – 110 BP|
|Islamic calendar||114 BH – 113 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1401 before ROC
|Seleucid era||822/823 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1053–1054|
Year 511 (DXI) was a common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Felix and Secundinus (or, less frequently, year 1264 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 511 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Riots erupt in the streets of Antioch between supporters of patriarch Flavian II and emperor Anastasius I in sympathy of Non-Chalcedonianism.
- November 27 – King Clovis I dies at Paris (Lutetia) at age 45 and is buried in the Abbey of St. Genevieve. The Merovingian Dynasty is continued by his four sons — Theuderic I, Chlodomer, Childebert I and Chlothar I — who divide the Frankish Kingdom and rule from the capitals at Metz, Orléans, Paris and Soissons, respectively.
- King Theodoric the Great assumes the regency over Amalaric, his grandson and future king of the Visigothic Kingdom (approximate date).
- Aryabhata, Indian astronomer and mathematician, comes up with concepts of mathematical equations, one of which explains the rotation of the Earth on its axis. This concept is far ahead of its time and he is fairly accurate in his description of it. He also comes with a lot of other ideas about the Solar System but many of them are flawed because he considers the Earth to be the center of the universe. Aryabhata is often given credit for coming up with the number zero and using it as a placeholder.
- First Council of Orléans: Clovis I convenes a synod of Gallic bishops to reform the Church and create a link between the Crown and the Catholic episcopate.
- Macedonius II is deposed as patriarch of Constantinople and replaced by Timothy I.
- The convent of Saint-Césaire is built in Arles.