66th Fighter Wing
|66th Fighter Wing|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Role||Command and Control|
|Part of||Illinois Air National Guard|
The 66th Fighter Wing (66 FW) is a disbanded unit of the United States Air Force, last stationed at Chicago Municipal Airport, Illinois. It was withdrawn from the Illinois Air National Guard (IL ANG) and inactivated on 31 October 1950.
World War II
Established in March 1943 at Norfolk Army Airfield Virginia. Supervised training of fighter units for overseas duty.
Reorganized and deployed to England, became an intermediate-level command and control organization for VIII Fighter Command with responsibility for fighter-escort groups of Eighth Air Force. Assigned groups provided fighter escort to B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator heavy bomber groups during combat missions over Occupied Europe July 1943-May 1945. Inactivated in England, 21 November 1945.
Air National Guard
Allocated to the Illinois Air National Guard for command and control origination for units in the Upper Midwest region of the United States. Extended federal recognition and activated on 26 November 1946.
At the end of October 1950, the Air National Guard converted to the wing-base Hobson Plan organization. As a result, the wing was withdrawn from the Illinois ANG and was inactivated on 31 October 1950. The 126th Composite Wing was established by the National Guard Bureau, allocated to the state of Illinois, recognized and activated 1 November 1950; assuming the personnel, equipment and mission of the inactivated 66th Fighter Wing.
- Constituted as 5th Air Defense Wing on 25 March 1943
- Activated on 27 March 1943
- Re-designated 66th Fighter Wing on 3 July 1943.
- Inactivated on 21 November 1945.
- Allotted to the Illinois ANG on 24 May 1946
- Extended federal recognition and activated on 26 November 1946
- Inactivated, and returned to the control of the Department of the Air Force, on 31 October 1950
- Disbanded on 15 June 1983
- Eighth Air Force, 27 March 1943
- VIII Fighter Command, 3 July 1943 – 21 November 1945
- Illinois Air National Guard, 26 November 1946 – 31 October 1950
World War II
Illinois Air National Guard
- 126th Bombardment Group, 29 June 1947 – 31 October 1950
- 169th Fighter Squadron, 21–29 June 1947
- 122d Fighter Group, 9 December 1946 – 7 December 1947 (Indiana ANG)
- 127th Fighter Group, 29 September 1946 – 31 October 1950 (Michigan ANG)
- 128th Fighter Group, 29 June 1948 – 31 October 1950 (Wisconsin ANG)
- 112th Bombardment Squadron, 2 December 1946 – 7 December 1947 (Ohio ANG)
- 162d Fighter Squadron, 22 November-7 December 1947 (Ohio ANG)
- 166th Fighter Squadron, 10 November-7 December 1947 (Ohio ANG)
- Norfolk Airport, Virginia, 27 March-c. 11 May 1943
- RAF Duxford (AAF-357), England, c. 3 June 1943
- Sawston Hall (AAF-371), England, 20 August 1943
- RAF Troston (AAF-595), England, C. 25 October – 21 November 1945
- Chicago Municipal Airport, Illinois, 26 November 1946 – 31 October 1950