From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||8th century – 9th century – 10th century|
|Decades:||840s 850s 860s – 870s – 880s 890s 900s|
|Years:||875 876 877 – 878 – 879 880 881|
|878 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1631|
|Chinese calendar||丁酉年 (Fire Rooster)
3574 or 3514
— to —
戊戌年 (Earth Dog)
3575 or 3515
|- Vikram Samvat||934–935|
|- Shaka Samvat||800–801|
|- Kali Yuga||3979–3980|
|Japanese calendar||Gangyō 2
|Minguo calendar||1034 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1189/1190 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1420–1421|
Year 878 (DCCCLXXVIII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar.
- Between May 6 and May 12 – Battle of Ethandun (probably either at Edington, Somerset, or Edington, Wiltshire): Alfred the Great of Wessex defeats the Danes of the Danelaw under Guthrum.
- May 21 – After a siege of eight months, Syracuse is captured by the Aghlabids of Ifriqiya.
- The Treaty of Wedmore divides England between the Anglo-Saxons and the Danes.
- Rhodri, the first King of Wales to be known as "the Great", is killed in battle.
- Alfonso III of Leon conquers Coimbra from the Umayyads.
- The city of Belgrade is first mentioned.
- Eochu MacRunn and Girig MacDungal jointly succeed Aed I of Scotland.
- The excommunication of the later Pope Formosus is lifted.
- Aedh MacRunn, King of the Scots and Picts
- Rhodri Mawr, king of Wales
- December 31, Emperor Seiwa, Emperor of Japan from 858 to 876. (b. 850)
- ↑ Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'strict' not found.