From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||8th century – 9th century – 10th century|
|Decades:||840s 850s 860s – 870s – 880s 890s 900s|
|Years:||876 877 878 – 879 – 880 881 882|
|879 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1632|
|Chinese calendar||戊戌年 (Earth Dog)
3575 or 3515
— to —
己亥年 (Earth Pig)
3576 or 3516
|- Vikram Samvat||935–936|
|- Shaka Samvat||801–802|
|- Kali Yuga||3980–3981|
|Japanese calendar||Gangyō 3
|Minguo calendar||1033 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1190/1191 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1421–1422|
Year 879 (DCCCLXXIX) was a common year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar.
- Pope John VIII recognizes the Duchy of Croatia as an independent state.
- Louis the Stammerer, king of West Francia dies, and is succeeded by his sons Louis III and Carloman II.
- The Chinese rebel Huang Chao besieges the southern Chinese seaport at Guangzhou and slaughters much of its inhabitants of native Chinese and foreigners from around the world. His rebellion is suppressed by 884.
- The death of Ya'qub al-Saffar enables the Abbasid Caliphate to concentrate its efforts against the Zanj Rebellion. Abu'l-Abbas ibn al-Muwaffaq is appointed to lead the fight against the Zanj.
- A synod convened at Constantinople (often considered by Eastern churches as the Fourth Council of Constantinople) reinstates Patriarch Photius I of Constantinople.
- Wilfred the Hairy, Count of Barcelona, founds the Benedictine monastery at Ripoll.
- September 17 – Charles the Simple, French king (d. 929)
- Empress Dowager Yingtian
- April 10 – Louis the Stammerer, King of the West Franks
- Rurik, ruler of Novgorod
- Áed Findliath, High King of Ireland
- Ya'qub ibn al-Layth al-Saffar