From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
This article is about the year 955. For the number, see 955 (number).
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||920s 930s 940s – 950s – 960s 970s 980s|
|Years:||952 953 954 – 955 – 956 957 958|
|955 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
Lua error in package.lua at line 75: invalid escape sequence near .
- August 10 – Battle of Lechfeld: Otto I the Great defeats the Magyars. The commanders of the Hungarian army, Bulcsú and Lehel are captured and executed by the Germans. These losses force the Hungarians to halt their campaigns into Western Europe (Germany, Italy, France). Howewer their campaigns in the Balkans continue until 970.
- November 23 – Eadwig becomes King of England.
- December 16 – Pope John XII succeeds Pope Agapetus II as the 130th pope. He may be as young as 18 on taking office.
- Otto II, Holy Roman Emperor
- Ælfric of Eynsham, English abbot
- Approximate date – Theophanu, Greek princess who becomes Empress consort (d. 991)
- Gilbert Meynier (2010) L'Algérie cœur du Maghreb classique. De l'ouverture islamo-arabe au repli (658-1518). Paris: La Découverte; pp.28.