From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||950s 960s 970s – 980s – 990s 1000s 1010s|
|Years:||984 985 986 – 987 – 988 989 990|
|987 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1740|
|Chinese calendar||丙戌年 (Fire Dog)
3683 or 3623
— to —
丁亥年 (Fire Pig)
3684 or 3624
|- Vikram Samvat||1043–1044|
|- Shaka Samvat||909–910|
|- Kali Yuga||4088–4089|
|Japanese calendar||Kanna 3 / Eien 1
|Minguo calendar||925 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1298/1299 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1529–1530|
Year 987 (CMLXXXVII) was a common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar.
- Kukulcan conquers Chichen Itza.
- The Zirids fail to reconquer the western part of the Maghrib which they have recently lost to the Umayyads.
- July 3 - Hugh Capet, Count of Paris, is crowned King of France.
- In Portugal, al-Mansur takes Coimbra, lost to the Christians in 904. The renewed domination of the central andalusian authorities on the north of the Gharb al-Andalus, leads to the submission of the Christian counts of Portugal to Cordoba. But it also illustrate the limited ability of the Muslims to repopulate or at least govern directly these remote areas.
- The population of Bari revolts against the Byzantines.
- Extension of the Prayer hall, Great Mosque of Córdoba, Córdoba, Spain, is made.
- Liu Yong, Chinese poet of the Song Dynasty
- May 21 – King Louis V of France
- Abu'l-Fawaris Ahmad ibn Ali, last Ikhshidid ruler (b. 957)