Aéroport du Grand Ouest
|Aéroport du Grand Ouest|
|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
The Aéroport du Grand Ouest Project is a planned new airport, to be situated 30 km (20 mi) to the north-west of the French city of Nantes in the commune of Notre-Dame-des-Landes. It is intended that the new airport will replace Nantes Atlantique Airport as the airport for Nantes, but also serve as an international gateway for western France.
The €580 million project was approved in February 2008, with construction expected to start in 2014 and an opening date in 2017. Initially the airport will have a capacity of four million passengers a year, increasing to nine million by 2050. This compares with the current capacity at Nantes Atlantique of three million passengers a year, a capacity that it is claimed cannot be increased because of the proximity of the airport to the city centre (a distance of only 8 km (5 mi)). Opponents claim that Nantes Atlantique can increase its capacity to 4 millions passengers a year.
The airport has been met with strong opposition, notably led by The Greens, Ségolène Royal and Arnaud Montebourg, even though the French Socialist Party supports it. Also various groups have set up numerous protest camps and squats around the area that will be build upon known as the "ZAD" (acronym of "fr") which means zone to be defended in English, ZAD is inspired by the French sentence "fr".
- "New Notre Dame des Landes Airport, Nantes, France". airport-technology.com. Retrieved 2008-07-24.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Calendrier Previsionnel". Aeroport Grandouest. Retrieved 2011-03-19.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- (French) La nécessité d’un nouvel aéroport prend du plomb dans l’aile - Libération du 18 novembre 2012
- (French) Official site of the Aéroport du Grand Ouest project
- (French) Official local opponents website
- (English) (French) ZAD website
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
|This French airport-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|