- For the current framework, see: ASP.NET
ASP.NET Core is an open-source web application framework, and the next generation of ASP.NET, developed by Microsoft and the community. It is a modular framework that runs on both the full .NET Framework, on Windows, and the cross-platform .NET Core.
Originally, the framework was to be called ASP.NET 5 when ready. However, in order to avoid implying it is an update to the existing ASP.NET framework, Microsoft later changed the name to ASP.NET Core 1.0.
- No-compile developer experience
- Modular framework distributed as NuGet packages
- Cloud-optimized runtime
- Host-agnostic - runs in IIS or standalone
- Tom FitzMacken. "ASP.NET 5 Overview". The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Jeffrey T. Fritz. "ASP.NET 5 is dead - Introducing ASP.NET Core 1.0 and .NET Core 1.0". .NET Web Development and Tools Blog. Retrieved 20 January 2016.