|File:Abdullah hussain s.JPG|
25 March 1920|
Yan, Kedah, Unfederated Malay States
|Died||31 December 2014
Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
|Notable works||Imam, Interlok, Konserto Terakhir|
Datuk Abdullah Hussain (25 March 1920 – 31 December 2014) was a Malaysian novelist and writer. He received the Malaysian National Laureate in 1996 which makes him the 8th recipient of the award.
Abdullah was born on 25 March 1920 in Sungai Limau Dalam, Yan, Kedah. Between the years 1926 and 1931 he received his early education at the Sekolah Melayu Sungai Limau and continued his studies at Sekolah St. Michael Alor Setar from 1932 until 1933 and also at the Anglo Chinese School, Alor Setar until 1935.
Abdullah started his career as an assistant cashier in the mining industry in Pahang in 1939. In the same year, he moved to Penang to start work for the newspaper Sahabat. During this time, he released two writings titled Binti Penghulu and Harta Dan Jodoh Menanti di England which was featured in Sahabat. During the years 1940 to 1941, Abdullah worked as an assistant writer for the newspaper Saudara and released two novels, Kasih Isteri and Dia...Kekasihku.
- Binti Penghulu
- Harta dan Jodoh Menanti di England
- Kasih Isteri (The Annies Printing Works, 1941)
- Dia...Kekasihku (The Annies Printing Works, 1941)
- Manusia Baru
- Kario Buruh Kebun
- Terjebak (Angkatan Baru, 1964)
- Aku Tidak Minta
- Konserto Terakhir
- Amin Pemuda Desa (1947)
- 1981 S.E.A. Write Award
- 1992/1994 Hadiah Novel Nasional from Syarikat Utusan Melayu and Public Bank Berhad
- 1994/1995 Hadiah Sastera Malaysia for the novel Imam
- 1995 Pingat Jasa Hukom Ngon Adat Lembaga Adat Kebudayaan Aceh (LAKA) and Hadiah Sako
- 1996 The Sasterawan Negara and Darjah Dato' Setia Diraja Kedah (DSDK)'