1 April 2015 - 31 March 2025
|Other Region(s):||Cumbria, Northumberland|
|Fleet size:||288 (2015)|
|National Rail abbreviation:||SR|
Abellio ScotRail, operating services under the name ScotRail, is the national train operating company of Scotland, operated by Abellio, a subsidiary of Nederlandse Spoorwegen, which has been running the ScotRail franchise since 1 April 2015.
In November 2013, Transport Scotland announced that Abellio, Arriva, FirstGroup, MTR Corporation and National Express had been shortlisted to bid for the new ScotRail franchise. In October 2014, the franchise was awarded to Abellio. The franchise will operate for seven years with a three-year extension available contingent on performance criteria being met. Abellio began operating the franchise on 1 April 2015.
Abellio ScotRail took over all of the services operated by First ScotRail at 0200 on 1 April 2015, except for the Caledonian Sleeper services, which had been transferred to a separate franchise operated by Serco at 1400 the previous day.
The franchise agreement requires the introduction of 'Great Scottish Scenic Railway' trains on the West Highland, Far North, Kyle, Borders Railway and Glasgow South Western lines. Steam special services will also be promoted by Abellio ScotRail.
Abellio ScotRail operates 355 stations in Scotland. Not included are Glasgow Prestwick Airport station, owned and operated by the airport, and Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Central, managed by Network Rail. Abellio ScotRail operates Lockerbie even though none of its services call there. It took over management of Dunbar, previously operated by Virgin Trains East Coast, in June 2015.
|Class||Image||Type||Top speed||Number||Carriages||Routes operated||Built|
|Class 68||Diesel Locomotive||100||161||2||N/A||Fife Circle Line
Future: West Highland Line
|Mk2 Coach||Passenger Carriage||100||160||12||6||1973-1975|
|156 Super Sprinter||150px||DMU||75||120||48||2||Glasgow South Western Line, West Highland Line, Shotts Line,||1987-89|
|158 Express Sprinter||90||145||48||2||Far North Line, Maryhill Line, Kyle of Lochalsh Line,||1989-92|
|Class 170 Turbostar||100||161||55||3||Croy Line, Glasgow to Edinburgh via Falkirk Line, Glasgow to Aberdeen Line,||1998-2005|
|Class 314||150px||EMU||75||121||16||3||Cathcart Circle Lines, Inverclyde Line, Paisley Canal Line.||1979|
|Class 318||90||145||21||3||North Clyde Line, Argyle Line, Whifflet Line||1986-87|
|Class 320||90||145||25||3||North Clyde Line, Argyle Line, Whifflet Line||1990|
|Class 334 Juniper||90||145||40||3||North Clyde Line, Argyle Line||1999-2002|
|Class 380 Desiro||100||160||38||3 and 4||Ayrshire Coast Line, Inverclyde Line, North Berwick Line,||2009-2011|
Abellio ScotRail has mentioned the following as part of the future rolling stock.
|Class||Image||Type||Top speed||Number||Carriages||Into Service||Built|
|Class 385||EMU||100||161||70||3 and 4||24 by December 2017, a further 46 by December 2018 and an option for 10 in 2023.
These new build trains will operate on the Edinburgh-Glasgow via Falkirk High line. They are also to be used on the Stirling-Alloa/Dunblane line, south Glasgow suburban routes and the Edinburgh to North Berwick/Dunbar Local services
|Class 43||HST||125||201||27||4 and 5||December 2018 -||1975–82|
|Class 67||Diesel Locomotive||125||201||3||N/A||From 2018 -
West Highland Line
|Mark 2||Lounge car
Abellio ScotRail will introduce a brand new fleet of 46 three car and 24 four car Class 385 electric trains from December 2017, to operate services on the lines being electrified as part of the Edinburgh to Glasgow Improvement Programme, if it granted a three-year optional franchise extension, it will order a further 10 three car units.
Abellio ScotRail will also introduce 14 four-carriage and 13 five-carriage refurbished High Speed Trains by December 2018 on longer-distance services between Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness. This is contingent on the rolling stock being released by Great Western Railway, with suggestions in July 2015 that the electrification of the Great Western Main Line was running 12 months late.
This new rolling stock will result in 10 Class 156, eight Class 158 and 21 (originally 34) Class 170s returning to their leasing companies. 5 of the 156s released, all the 158s released and 16 of the 170s released will join Northern when their lease expire in 2018. Transport Scotland has successfully negotiated a lease extension for 13 of their 170s meaning they'll be used to support services through Fife to Aberdeen and the Borders railway.
- Companies House extract company no SC450732 Abellio ScotRail Limited
- "Abellio Group Head Office" Group corporate website, Abellio, Utrecht, Netherlands, Undate. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Scotrail franchise shortlist named" BBC News 1 November 2013
- "Dutch firms wins ScotRail franchise from FirstGroup" BBC News 8 October 2014
- "Abellio awarded ScotRail franchise" Railway Gazette (London) 8 October 2014
- "Abellio awarded contract to operate Scotland's National Railway, ScotRail" (Press release). Abellio. n.d.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Tender conditions Transport Scotland
- Borders railway Transport Scotland
- "Serco wins franchise for Caledonian sleeper train service" BBC News 28 May 2014
- ScotRail Franchise Transport Scotland
- Facts & Figures Abellio ScotRail
- "ScotRail franchise facts & figures" Rail (Peterborough). Issue 759. Page 8. 15 October 2014.
- Station Access Application. Office of Rail Regulation.
- Our stations. Network Rail.
- ScotRail Franchise Invitation to Tender. Transport Scotland. 23 January 2014.
- BBC News. 14 March 2016 https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/709390597040316417. Retrieved 18 March 2016. Missing or empty
- "Hitachi selected for Scottish EMU contract" International Railway Journal (London) 9 October 2014
- "Hitachi to build ScotRail EMUs". Railway Gazette (London). 10 October 2014.
- "Cheaper advance fares among Abellio ScotRail plans" The Scotsman (Edinburgh) 8 October 2014
- "Quality and more trains key to Abellio's SR franchise" Rail issue 760 29 October 2014 page 10
- "ScotRail HST fleet plans". RAIL magazine. 1 September 2015. Retrieved 12 November 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Factory on wheels delays rail electrification by a year BBC News 7 July 2015
- "Abellio takes over ScotRail" Today's Railways issue 162 June 2015 page 12
Media related to Abellio ScotRail at Wikimedia Commons
|Operator of ScotRail franchise
2015 - 2025