Ablon Town Hall
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Intercommunality||Pays de Honfleur|
|• Mayor (2008–2020)||Xavier Canu|
|Area1||12 km2 (5 sq mi)|
|• Density||99/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||14001 / 14600|
|Elevation||0–118 m (0–387 ft)
(avg. 98 m or 322 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Ablonnais or Ablonnaises.
Ablon is 5 km south east of Honfleur and 16 km north-west of Pont-Audemer with its northern border on the Seine Estuary. It can be reached on Highway D580A from Honfleur turning right on the small country road called Cote de Vats to reach the village of Ablon. Road D140 (Route de Genneville) from Genneville in the south passes through the western side of the commune to join the D580a just outside the commune. The D144 road forms the southern border of the commune. Ablon is in the north-eastern corner of the Calvados department with its eastern border being the departmental border with Eure.
The Morelle river passes through the north of the commune from east to west although oddly does not form part of the commune. The Canal de Retour is parallel to it but also does not form part of the commune.
The name Ablon (from the Germanic man's name Abilo) originates from the Lordship that occupied the area at the end of the Middle Ages.
In 1809, Ablon grew in size following its union with two neighbouring communes: Crémanville and Ableville.
Ablon was the site of a Nobel dynamite factory from 1879 until 1989. The factory ceased operations following an explosion on 3 March 1988 which left five people dead, including the factory's director, and eight others injured.
List of Successive Mayors of Ablon
(Not all data is known)
French presidential election, 2012 at Ablon
Source : Ministry of Interior - Calvados (Basse-Normandie) (French)
|Candidate||First round||Second round|
|Marine Le Pen||FN||171||21.84|
|Blanks and Nulls||11||1.39||51||6.61|
In 2010, the town had 1,189 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the town since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Culture and heritage
The commune has two buildings that are registered as historical monuments:
- The Chateau of Ablon (1767 and 1845)
- The Dynamite Factory (1885 to 1916). The factory contains several items that are registered as historical objects:
- Other sites of interest
- La Houssaye Manor-farm
The Parish Church of Saint-Pierre contains one item that is registered as an historical object:
- Ablon official website (French)
- Ablon on the old IGN website (French)
- Ablon on Google Maps
- Ablon on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Ablon on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Ablon on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 , the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Calvados (French)
- Google Maps
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA14000758 Dynamite Factory (French)
- Record of Accident on the A.R.I.A. database
- Detailed Record of Accident on the A.R.I.A. database
- List of Mayors of France (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00111828 Chateau of Ablon (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM14002731 Dreiswerke moulding machine (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM14002730 Weighing machine (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM14002729 Nitroglycerine production line (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM14000001 Baptismal font (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ablon.|