|File:Tooves signing autographs 01.jpg
Toovey signs autographs with Collingwood in 2014
|Full name||Alan Toovey|
|Date of birth||23 March 1987|
|Place of birth||Western Australia|
|Original team(s)||Claremont (WAFL)|
|Draft||#2, 2006 rookie draft, Collingwood|
|Height/Weight||189cm / 89kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2015 season.
A speedy left-footed defender, Toovey was initially unlucky not to be drafted to a senior list at the end of 2005, and spent the rest of the summer with Collingwood in the hope of selection in the rookie draft. His wish was granted, and he spent the rest of 2006 with Williamstown in the VFL, his efforts out of the back pocket earning him promotion to the senior list at season's end.
Toovey found himself in and out of the side throughout the 2007 and 2008 seasons, playing a total of 17 games.
In 2009 he won favour with the coaching staff with his relentless attack at the football and player and his never say die attitude. He cemented his place in the senior side, missing only one game in 2009.
2010 was the highlight to date of Toovey's AFL career. He played every game, becoming a crucial part of the Collingwood backline as the club won its 15th AFL/VFL Premiership.
In 2011 Toovey missed a month of football due to a broken finger. At the end of the year, his manager emailled all AFL clubs to inform them that Toovey was out of contract, had rejected the club's initial offer and was looking for a better deal elsewhere. Despite this, he later re-signed with Collingwood for two more years.
During the round five clash against Essendon in 2013, Toovey ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament during an innocuous fall in the last quarter of the game. As a result, Toovey required a knee reconstruction and missed the remainder of the 2013 season. He was selected back into the Collingwood side for the Round 1 clash against Fremantle in 2014.
Earlier in Toovey's career he was lamented at times by the Collingwood fans. Much of this had to do with his wayward kicking. As his kicking accuracy and general form increased he slowly became a cult hero to the fans. A deep chant of 'TOOOOOOOVES' can be heard from the stands when he has the ball.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2014 season
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Horan, Michael (15 April 2011). "Alan Toovey's magic a treat for Pies". Herald Sun.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Hand, Guy (23 September 2010). "Magpies' team within a team".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Brodie, Will (11 October 2011). "Toovey's manager issues ultimatum". The Age. Melbourne.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Lienert, Sam (16 October 2011). "Defender Alan Toovey re-signs with Collingwood".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Matt Windley (26 April 2013). "Collingwood confirms Alan Toovey has ruptured ACL in his left knee". Herald Sun. News Corporation. Retrieved 26 April 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Blake, Martin (9 September 2009). "Toovey kind of love". The Age. Melbourne.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Alan Toovey's player profile at AFL Tables