Alan Wilson (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Buckingham|
|Diocese||Diocese of Oxford|
|Consecration||9 October 2003
by Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury
27 March 1955 |
Redford Barracks, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||St John's College, Cambridge
Wycliffe Hall, Oxford
Balliol College, Oxford
Wilson was born on 27 March 1955 in Redford Barracks in Edinburgh, Scotland. He went to Sevenoaks School in Kent, southeast England, for his secondary education. He studied history at St John's College, Cambridge (BA 1977, MA 1981). From 1977 to 1979, he studied at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford.
Wilson was ordained deacon in 1979 and priest in 1980. From 1979 to 1981 he was an honorary assistant curate of Eynsham (where he met his future wife, Lucy) and also held an academic position funded by the University of Oxford. From 1981 to 1982, he was an assistant curate in the same parish, his academic position having ended.
His DPhil, for which he studied as a student of Balliol College, Oxford, was awarded in 1989. He had completed his thesis in 1988. The official title of his thesis is The theology of church and party of some London ritualistic clergy and parishes, 1880–1914, with special reference to the Church Crisis of 1898-1906, although it bears the unofficial title The authority of church and party among London Anglo-Catholics, 1880–1914, with special reference to the Church Crisis, 1898–1904.
Wilson spent the following years of his ministry in a variety of positions, including as a prison chaplain. He was Vicar of St Michaels, Sandhurst, Rural Dean of Sonning and an honorary canon at Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford.
On 9 October 2003, Wilson was consecrated a bishop by Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, during a service at Westminster Abbey. He then became Bishop of Buckingham, an area bishop in the Diocese of Oxford.
Wilson is married to Lucy. Together, they have five children: Catherine, Stephanie, Stewart, Nicholas, and Anna.
- The Reverend Alan Wilson (1979–1989)
- The Reverend Doctor Alan Wilson (1989–2002)
- The Reverend Canon Doctor Alan Wilson (2002–2003)
- The Right Reverend Doctor Alan Wilson (2003–present)
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (97th edn, London, 2001), p. 829.
- Christine Zwart, God in the Life of Alan Wilson, Oxford Diocese website, 9 October 2003. Accessed 13 October 2008.
- Oxford University library catalogue.
- Interview with Bishop Alan.
- St Michael & All Angels — Sandhurst, UK.
- Kershaw, Simon (9 October 2003). "ordination of bishops". As I was going to St Ives: jottings by Simon Kershaw. Thinking Anglicans. Retrieved 12 July 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Bishop Alan". Diocese of Oxford. Retrieved 12 July 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Biography and Contact". Bishop Alan's blog. Retrieved 12 July 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Buckingham