Albanian Land Force
|Albanian Land Force
|Allegiance||Republic of Albania|
|Size||8,500 (2015) |
|Motto||Fatherland, Honor, And Duty|
|President of Albania||Bujar Nishani|
|Minister of Defense||Mimi Kodheli|
|Chief of the Albanian General Staff||Major General Jeronim Bazo|
|Commander of the Land Forces||Brigadier General Nazmi Cahani|
- 1 Mission
- 2 History
- 3 Structure
- 4 Specific tasks
- 5 Equipment
- 6 Gallery
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Its main mission is the defense of the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Albania, participation in humanitarian, combat, non-combat and peace support operations.
Land Force is a priority unit in the structure of the Armed Forces. Land Force was established on August 29, 2000, and included military units with traditions and rich multi-year activity, spread across the territory of the Republic of Albania. In 2000 the Land Force included five infantry divisions with 55 brigades and 300 battalions deployed in 167 different regions of the country. During its continuous reform, the Land Force underwent new changes. In 2006 the Land Force was dissolved and the Joint Force Command was established. In the context of the ongoing transformation of the Armed Forces, based on the concept of an army small in number, operational and professional, on the 9th of December 2009 was re-established the Land Force on the basis of Rapid Reaction Brigade and Commando Regiment.
Based on the constitutional mission, the Land Force was involved in a process of profound transformation according to Western military concepts, and with the transition of the entire force from a conscript military service into a professional army its operational level has increased. The structures of Land Force have been engaged in Peace Support Operations in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iraq, Chad and currently in Herat and Kandahar, Afghanistan. Land Force has the major share in peacekeeping operations in the framework of NATO, UN and EU. The Land Force is managed by young qualified leaders educated in military schools of NATO countries, as in the United States, Italy, Turkey, Germany, United Kingdom, Austria, etc., based on cooperation projects with these countries.
Land Force is engaged in civil emergency operations to help the community in cases of natural disasters, such as floods, blocked roads and aid distribution in cases of heavy snowfalls, fire suppression operations, etc.
Since its establishment, the Land Force is led by experienced commanders. From 2000-06 it was headed by Maj. Gen. Kostaq Karoli; from 2006-08 it was led by Brig. Gen. Shpëtim Spahiu; from 2008-August 2012 by Brig. Gen. Viktor Berdo. From August 2012 to November 2013 it has been commanded by Maj. Gen. Zyber Dushku. Since 11 November 2013, Maj. Gen. Jeronim Bazo is Chief of Staff.
Organizational divisions of the land force include:
Command and Staff
Staff Support Company
1st Infantry Battalion
2nd Infantry Battalion
3rd Infantry Battalion
Combat Support Battalion.
- Maintaining and developing capacities to provide a high level of readiness.
- Continuous and sufficient training to deal with the tasks that might be assigned to it.
- Assisting the community in cases of humanitarian emergencies; supporting Search and Rescue Operations(SAR).
- Cooperating with other national institutions in preventing illegal trafficking, smuggling of people and conventional weapons in Albania.
- Training and participating with troops in peace support missions in the framework of NATO, EU and UN.
Assault Rifles, Battle Rifles and Carbines
In 2014, Minister of Defense Kodheli announced that Albania would transition from the Kalashnikov family of rifles to the M4 family, in part because of the association of the Kalashnikov with terrorism.
|M4 carbine||5.56×45mm||United States||The Colt M4, alongside the Beretta ARX 160, will be the standard weapon of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Albania replacing the different models of AK|
|AKM||7.62×39mm||Albania||Phased out in favor of the M4 and the Beretta ARX 160.|
|ASH-78 Tip-1||7.62×39mm||Albania||Phased out in favor of the M4 and the Beretta ARX 160.|
|Beretta ARX-160||5.56×45mm||Italy||Used by Albanian special forces (BFS), RENEA and Military Police. To become standard issue.|
Pistol and Submachine guns
|Beretta Px4 Storm||9×19mm||Italy||Standard issue|
|P8 Pistol||9×19mm||Germany||Limited use in the B.O.S.|
|P12 Pistol||.45 ACP||Germany||Limited use in the B.O.S.|
|Beretta 92||9×19mm||Italy||In use with the B.O.S.|
|HK MP5||9×19mm||Germany||Standard SMG in the B.O.S|
|HK MP7||HK 4.6×30mm||Germany||Limited use in the B.O.S. Mostly used by the RENEA, the Albanian police|
|HK UMP||.45 ACP||Germany||Limited use in the B.O.S.|
|Sako TRG||.308 Winchester||Finland||Used by the Army, RENEA and B.O.S|
|Heckler & Koch MG4||5.56×45 NATO||Germany||The Commando Battalion was the first unit seen to use it in an exercise hel in late December 2015.It was also seen used by 2nd Infantry Battalion during exercises it participated in Poland. It will be used as a squad machinegun of the army|
|DSHKM||12.7×108mm||Albania/ China||DSHKM is used as Close AA gun also on APCs, MBTs, transport vehicles and some times on patrol boats.|
|RPD machine gun||Albania/ Soviet Union||Phased out in favor of the H&K MG4/MG5|
Anti Tank weapons and MANPADS
|Soviet RPG-7 and Chinese Type 69||40 mm||Soviet Union/ China||Soviet and Chinese version is still used in the army|
|Strela-2||72 mm||China/ Soviet Union|||
|HJ-8||100px||120 mm||Last seen in 2007 parade|
Albania will receive 250 Armoured Vehicles of unknown type from USA. The equipment is expected to be delivered until August 2017. 
|T-59||Main Battle Tank||China||721+ delivered by China and used by Albanian government alongside 75 Soviet T-54 & 300+ T-55 tanks. Today most are retired and some in storage.|
Albanian soldiers with VHS rifles
- "Land Force". Albanian Armed Forces. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "Speech of Minister Kodheli held in the Parliament session of September 25, 2014". Albanian Ministry of Defence. 25 September 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Forcat e Armatosura shqiptare 6 vjet në NATO" (in Albanian). Albanian Armed Forces. 3 April 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Albanian Armed Forces newspaper". AAF Newspaper.
- "Trajnohen nga specialistët amerikanë, instruktorët e parë të pushkës M-4 dhe pistoletës Beretta PX Storm në FT" (in Albanian). Albanian Armed Forces. 2 July 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "hk in albania". Youtube.com. 2007-12-26. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Janq Designs. "Special Operations.Com". Special Operations.Com. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Eric R. Poole (April 2010). "Sako TRG-42 The quest for cold-bore accuracy stops here.". Gunsandammo.com. Archived from the original on July 11, 2011. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- . Lajmi.net http://lajmi.net/ushtria-shqiptare-zbarkon-ne-mes-te-tiranes-foto/. Missing or empty
- Jones, Richard D.; Ness, Leland S., eds. (January 27, 2009). Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009/2010 (35th ed.). Coulsdon: Jane's Information Group. ISBN 978-0-7106-2869-5.
- "NORINCO HJ-8 (Hongjian-8) (Red Arrow-8) Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) (1985)". 15 June 2015. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "Albanian military buys new equipment for air and land forces".
- "Albanian army was trained during two weeks with the armoured vehicle Nexer Aravis". 29 November 2012. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- http://www.aaf.mil.al/english/index.php/land-force Mission of Albanian land forces
- http://www.aaf.mil.al/english/index.php/land-force Specific tasks of Albanian land forces
- http://www.aaf.mil.al/english/index.php/land-force/126-historiku-i-forces-tokesore History of Albanian land forces
- http://www.armyrecognition.com/world-army-equipment-topmenu-993/east-europe-topmenu-85/albania-topmenu-742?task=view&id=2576 Heavy armoured and tanks Albanian Armed Forces
- http://www.armyrecognition.com/world-army-equipment-topmenu-993/east-europe-topmenu-85/albania-topmenu-742?task=view&id=2576 Mortar