|Public NASDAQ: ALKS|
|Richard Pops, CEO|
|Total assets||US$452 Million|
|Total equity||US$392 Million|
Number of employees
Alkermes plc is a biopharmaceutical company that focuses on central nervous system (CNS) diseases. The company is the result of a merger in September 2011 between Alkermes, Inc. and Elan Drug Technologies (EDT), the former drug formulation and manufacturing division of Élan Corporation, plc. The company is headquartered in Dublin, and has an R&D center in Waltham, Massachusetts and manufacturing facilities in Athlone, Ireland; Gainesville, Georgia; and Wilmington, Ohio.
Alkermes has more than 20 commercial drug products and candidates that address serious and chronic diseases such as addiction, schizophrenia, diabetes and depression. Among these, five products are primary to the company: risperidone long-acting Injection (generic for Risperdal Consta) for schizophrenia and bipolar 1 disorder, paliperidone palmitate (generic for Invega Sustenna in the U.S., Xeplion in Europe) for schizophrenia, 4-aminopyridine (generic for Ampyra in the U.S., Fampyra in Europe) to improve walking in patients with multiple sclerosis, naltrexone for extended-release injectable suspension (generic for Vivitrol) for alcohol and opioid dependence, and exenatide extended-release for injectable suspension (generic for Bydureon) for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Bydureon is a once-weekly, extended-release form of the drug, exenatide (Byetta), and was developed through a partnership between Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Alkermes and Eli Lilly. It is approved in Europe and the U.S.
- Robert Weisman (10 May 2011). "Alkermes to buy Irish drug maker". Boston Globe. Retrieved 13 October 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Alkermes (ALKS) Quarterly Report". WikiInvest. 2011. Retrieved 13 October 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Alkermes Reels In Elan's Drug Technology Business". Forbes.com. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 13 October 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Zacks Equity Research, “Positive Data on Risperdal Consta,” Yahoo! Finance, March 29, 2011.
- John M. Grohol, “Risperdal Consta Approved for Bipolar,” PsychCentral.com, May 18, 2009.
- Cole Petrochko, “FDA Okays First Monthly Antipsychotic Drug,” MedPage Today, August 5, 2009.
- Matt Jarzemsky, “Johnson & Johnson Gets European Approval For Schizophrenia Shot,” The Wall Street Journal, March 9, 2011.
- Susan Jeffrey, “FDA Approves Dalfampridine to Improve Walking in Multiple Sclerosis,” Medscape Medical News, January 22, 2010.
- Toni Clarke, “Europe backs Acorda, Biogen drug in change of tack,” Reuters, May 20, 2011.
- Miranda Hitti, “FDA OKs New Drug to Treat Alcoholism,” WebMD, April 14, 2006.
- Rita Rubin, “FDA OKs Vivitrol to treat heroin, narcotic addictions,” USA Today, October 13, 2010.
- Denise Mann, "Weekly Shot Gets FDA Nod for Type 2 Diabetes," WebMD, January 27, 2012
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1/Identifiers at line 47: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).